Friday, September 19, 2008

PTR's Emmy Picks


This Sunday, we'll find out if our faves take home a statue on TV's biggest night. The 60th Primetime Emmy Awards will be handed out this weekend live on ABC. In the meantime, LillyKat and I thought it would be fun to make our picks on who/what we want to win in some of the biggest categories. Here's what we came up with...

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Tony Shalhoub - Monk
Steve Carell - The Office
Lee Pace - Pushing Daisies
Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock
Charlie Sheen - Two & a Half Men

TVFan's Pick: Tony Shalhoub. The Monk star makes the series with his hilarious OCD detective.
LillyKat's Pick: Anyone BUT Steve Carell will do. I know that's harsh, but I just don't like the guy whatsoever, and I've never taken to The Office given I prefer the o-rig-i-nal UK version.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy
Tiny Fey - 30 Rock
Christina Applegate - Samantha Who?
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - The New Adventures Of Old Christine
America Ferrera - Ugly Betty
Mary-Louise Parker - Weeds

TVFan's Pick: 30 Rock's Tina Fey. I'm not a regular viewer of any of these series, but Fey's delivery and timing make her a stand-out for me in this category.
LillyKat's Pick:Again, anyone BUT Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I actually DO like her, but she's already won for both Seinfeld and The New Adventures of Old Christine. I prefer when the Academy quits rewarding the same person. That said, I'm partial to America Ferrera or Mary-Louise Parker.


Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
James Spader - Boston Legal
Bryan Cranston - Breaking Bad
Michael C. Hall - Dexter
Hugh Laurie - House
Gabriel Byrne - In Treatment
Jon Hamm - Mad Men

TVFan's Pick: Dexter's Michael C. Hall. Hall is Dexter and without him, this show just wouldn't be the same. He brings such conflicted complication to the role and has us feeling sorry for his serial killer character.
LillyKat's Pick: Definitely Michael C. Hall. I am just dying (no pun intended) to have him be recognized for bringing to life one of the most compelling characters on television. But I'm wondering if it's going to be a Mad Men evening, and thus, Jon Hamm could find himself with the Emmy hardware.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Sally Field - Brothers & Sisters
Glenn Close - Damages
Mariska Hargitay - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Holly Hunter - Saving Grace
Kyra Sedgwick - The Closer

TVFan's Pick: Glenn Close. This is a difficult category given that it also includes the fabulous Kyra Sedgwick, but Close's portrayal of the uber-complicated Patty Hewes was, hands down, the best performance of last season in any category.
LillyKat's Pick:I cannot decide between Glenn Close and Kyra Sedwick. Purely on sentimental value, I want Kyra to win. She has delivered year-in, year-out yet has only ever been nominated, not won. I don't want her to turn into the Susan Lucci of the Primetime Emmys. On that fact alone, I'd like to see her finally get recognized. However, Glenn is just too darn good. There are hardly words to describe her captivating portrayal of Patty Hewes. So, if Kyra has to lose AGAIN, I'd want her to lose to Glenn.


Outstanding Comedy Series
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
The Office
30 Rock
Two & a Half Men


TVFan's Pick: The Office. This off-beat comedy never fails to make me laugh and marvel at its clever use of its faux-documentary style.
LillyKat's Pick:Hmm ... I don't watch much of any of these shows. I'll guess it'll be between The Office and 30 Rock (who surprised everyone last year, remember?)


Outstanding Drama Series
Boston Legal
Damages
Dexter
House
Lost
Mad Men

TVFan's Pick: Damages. This is the toughest category for me with Dexter and Lost keeping Damages company, but the FX freshman series absolutely blew me away. This first season was the finest season of any show I've ever seen. If Damages doesn't win, I might have to re-think lifting my Emmy ban.
LillyKat's Pick:I'd be happy with Dexter or Damages, with Damages possibly getting the edge given the intricacies of the show were just so captivating, and the entire ensemble cast turned in amazing performances tall the way around. But again, I'm wondering if we might see a Mad Men sweep. The good news is that sometimes the shows with the MOST noms go home with the LEAST awards. So here's to some of PTR Faves giving them a run for their money.


You can find out if these nominees and your faves take home the statues this Sunday evening on ABC (8 PM/7 PM).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you both on Damages and Dexter. The two most exciting and compelling shows on tv.