Monday, March 13, 2006

Scotty Learns the 'Cold' Truth and Gabby is 'Desperate' to Adopt! Plus DVD Releases and Alicia Silverstone's TV Return


There were many things in last night's Cold Case episode that shocked me. First of all, Scotty worked as a narc? Undercover? And he looked like this (above)? This just doesn't seem very Scotty, but then we learned that it wasn't, which led to the problem. And then there was the disturbing look at the world of drug mules, something that you hear about, but experiencing through a character on a television shows makes it hit a little closer to home. The final shocking turn, and what I found to be the most shocking, was the revelation that Scotty purposely omitted pertinent information when they first re-opened the case. From the promos, press release, and just about everything else, I had the impression that he and the murdered drug mule (Ana) were involved, so I was expecting some big "shocking" revelation scene where the rest of the characters (who don't have the benefit of promos) catch up with the rest of us. Imagine my shock when we learned that Scotty and Ana didn't have an inappropriate relationship, but rather, he just got too close to her in a more human way and that closeness led to his bad decision. I don't blame Scotty, though. Yes, he shouldn't have let his emotions get in the way (thus, the reason why he's not cut out for undercover narcotics work), but giving Ana his number in case of an emergency is not what led to her death. I can't even blame his sergeant, although he's not my favorite person after what he did, or rather what he didn't do (he could have protected her), because this murder came down to two people willing to do absolutely anything to get the two "cookies" of drugs that Ana had stashed as a bargaining tool to get her passport and money back. Cold Case is the master at manipulating emotions so well that you're willing to forgive the fact that it is purposely trying to evoke a deep sadness from you. This was certainly the case last night. How sad was Ana's murder scene in the SUV? When she looked up and saw herself achieving her dream it seriously pulled at my heartstrings. Manipulation successful achieved.


I have to give props to my girl Lilly. I thought for sure that she would have been all over Scotty for leaving out pertinent information, getting too close to Anna and almost blowing the entire investigation back in 1998. It just seemed so her, but she surprised me. I didn't detect a high-and-mighty moment in the entire episode. In fact, despite Scotty's past untruthfulness, she was one of the last to believe that anything more than friendship transpired between him and Ana. She didn't even get on him when he finally admitted that he hadn't been entirely forthcoming about the night of Ana's murder. She had more of a disappointed look to her than a judgmental or angry one. I do think that she took mental note of a pattern that seems to have developed in Scotty's life. He's not very good at controlling himself, especially during the times it seems most needed. There was no mention of Ray the motorcycle man, but several allusions to Scotty's misstep with Lil's sister last season. I liked the way the episode chose to hint at it without beating us over the head with what happened. We got that Lil might doubt Scotty because he lied to her about Chris without them telling us, so I appreciate the subtlety. I thought Scotty's realization that he needed to mend his ways was interesting and I'm hoping we get to see where it leads.

Please don't tell me that Desperate Housewives is going back to being boring. Not when things just started picking up this season! Even as I sit here to write about the episode, I find that there's little of note. Why can't all shows use set-up episodes as effectively as Veronica Mars? All of these shows (I'm looking at you Desperate Housewives and Lost) could take a page or two out of Veronica's notebook. I did find the Gabby-and-Carlos-try-to-adopt storyline interesting and comical until it took a turn toward black market baby-land. I don't know how I feel about that idea. John's mom working at the adoption agency was a surprising turn, and it led to a very uncomfortable scene. I really dislike the whole dying-man-needs-to-see-grandson story line. It has dragged on for far too many episodes. I thought it had gotten interesting when we thought that Paul had died, but that was just a red herring. We get it, Dierdre's father is the quintessential soap opera bad guy. Can we please move on now? Susan was up to her usual silly antics. Is anyone surprised that she still loves Mike? I guess maybe she'll be when she wakes up. Lynette and Tom should not be working together, although, it makes for interesting scenes between them. It's just not good for their marriage. The only other interesting story last night was Bree's decision to go to AA to fight Andrew's emancipation. This chick is in serious denial! She keeps excusing her behavior away while drowning herself in her many stashed bottles of wine. Bree, there are some things you can't handle yourself, please seek help!

About Last Night...CBS won the first hour of the night with Cold Case, followed by ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (Case won in households, Makeover in total viewers) and Fox's The Simpsons and The War at Home. At 9, ABC took over with Desperate Housewives, followed by NBC's Law & Order: CI and CBS' movie How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days. The final hour of the night went to ABC's Grey's Anatomy (which got the night's biggest audience again), followed by NBC's Crossing Jordan and the second hour of CBS' movie. For more on last night's ratings, visit Zap2it.

~Primetime Pass~
@8 p.m. - NBC airs another edition of Deal or No Deal. Over on CBS, new Julia Louis-Dreyfus comedy The New Adventures of Old Christine premieres (another episodes airs at 9:30 p.m.).

@10 p.m. - Allison has a disturbing dream about her brother just as he rolls into town and she begins to fear the worst on NBC's Medium. Over on CBS, the team finds evidence that may prove that a man found innocent of killing his wife is really guilty on CSI: Miami.



QUICK CUTS

*Actress Alicia Silverstone is coming back to TV. She has just been cast in the lead role for the ABC pilot Pink Collar. The single-camera comedy (in the same tradition as this year's breakouts My Name is Earl and Everybody Hates Chris as well as Scrubs and Arrested Development) will follow the relationships between female co-workers. Silverstone was last seen in NBC's short-lived Miss Match back in 2003.

*Reruns of HBO's critically acclaimed Six Feet Under are coming to a basic cable channel near you. Bravo purchased the exclusive rights to the show's reruns for the next four years according to an HBO rep. The series, which ended its run last August, aired for five seasons with a total of 63 episodes. HBO gave the cable channel the right to edit out content to make it suitable for a PG audience just as it did for TBS' airings of Sex and the City. The episodes are expected to start this fall and air once a week on Bravo.

*And finally, it's TV on DVD Monday! Look for I Dream of Jeannie (season 1 - available in both color and black/white) on store shelves tomorrow along with Columbo (season 4), MacGyver (season 5), Murder She Wrote (season 3) and Sleeper Cell (season 1). For the full list of tomorrow's releases, visit tvshowsondvd.com.

That's all for today. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for thoughts on Medium and a special announcement that will bring exciting changes to Pass the Remote! Plus, all the latest television news!


SAVE EVERWOOD NOW! Click HERE to learn how to help the show get another season

Don't forget to help Veronica Mars with the $4,000 Shower Campaign. Click HERE for details

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just thoroughly spoiled myself... I knew I shouldn't have come here! :P

So... the Scotty thing worked out for the best. Next week they're airing The Evil Episode around here... I don't wanna see it. But I think I will anyway, just in case 2nd time around it makes more sense than the first.

I have this terrible (and utterly stupid) feeling that something died the day MC Man came in, regarding my love for CC and Lilly, and it can't be rekindled again. I just don't feel the interest in characters or plots the way I did. And I want to!!! I don't really feel like giving up the boards or my fanfic, not yet.

Sorry, I kinda had to get this out of my chest. :D Feel free to erase it, it doesn't belong here.

TVFan said...

I get where you're coming from and I know that you are not alone. Maybe the show will just move on from the whole thing and things will go back to normal. If it does, you may be able to regain your faith in it over time. Don't give up yet. The cases are still exciting!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, girl. I'm trying real hard! But something's just lost for me. I don't connect anymore.

I'm still gonna try hard.