Friday, June 16, 2006

2 Shows New 2 Me! Plus Friday Fun, a CBS Summer Schedule Shake Up and a New 'L&O' Prosecutor

Since it is rerun season, I have had the time to discover two delightful "New 2 Me" shows that many of you have been buzzing about for months. Yes, I know I'm a little behind the buzz train, but there are only so many primetime hours in my week people, and too many of them are already filled with crime dramas. Every time I swear I'm not going to add any more shows to my already crowded schedule, I end up breaking it. I figure adding these two is OK, though, and totally doesn't count since it's summer. Of course, this still doesn't solve why I watch so many damn crime dramas! The thing about The Closer and Bones is that they're crime dramas, but they have enough originality to distinguish themselves from the pack like the other crime shows I watch.


I finally gave in to the constant shameless publicity for the season premiere of TNT's The Closer Monday night. Star Kyra Sedgwick was on a local radio station here and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. So I tuned in to the commercial-free premiere, and I liked it! I liked it enough to add it as a Season Pass on TiVo and I went straight to Netflix and added the 1st season DVD set to my queue. I've heard the show compared to Cold Case in the past, but the only similarity that I saw was the fact that both shows are centered on a female lead (although, we could all argue the finer points on the latter). You guys know that I'm a die-hard CC fan and nothing's going to change that, but I think that The Closer does one thing better. It seamlessly balances the crimes with Brenda's personal life so well that I never felt like one was overtaking the other. I think it's because the show is less formulaic, and therefore, has more breathing room for the personal side. Of course, I've only seen the one episode, but I will be tuning in every week to watch how the show continues to maintain the balance without getting too personal. The Closer airs Monday nights at 9 p.m. on TNT.


I just sort of stumbled upon Bones a few weeks ago. We had just gotten our new HDTV, and I was totally into watching programs that were in HD. I was flipping through the channels a little after 8, and stopped on Bones. I was hooked immediately and wound up watching the entire episode (it had to do with a murdered call girl who had so much plastic surgery done that they couldn't ID her). The problem is, Fox hasn't aired another rerun yet! They keep running 2-hour editions of So You Think You Can Dance in its place. Bones is a fun show that reminds me of a better version of Crossing Jordan. Both shows revolve around female crime solvers with an interesting cast of supporting characters and both females have their sexual tension law enforcement official by their side. Jordan has Woody and Brennan has Booth. In both cases, the women are more specialized than their male counterparts and both pairings have that "I Hate You Because I Love You" syndrome, but as I stated above, Bones just does it better. I know the finer points that make up the differences between a medical examiner and a forensic anthropologist are better left to those in the know, but I find the latter to be absolutely fascinating. So, I'll be watching Bones all summer, as long as Fox puts the reruns back on that is. Bones (supposedly) airs Wednesday nights at 8 p.m. on Fox.


FRIDAY FUN: SUMMER STYLE
We've done the Trivia Question and the Fun Fact, so now it's Quote Time! Here are a few funny and fabulous quotes from some Pass the Remote fave stars.

"I don't want it to be like a site about me because that will get old really fast. And let's be honest, no one's going to buy like a Zach Braff calendar." Scrubs' Zach Braff (underestimating his appeal) regarding the vision for his new site on his first video post.


"It's totally unexpected and really cool, and [the critics] have been so important to the success of the show and to me in particular, so I'm really thankful." Gilmore Girls' Lauren Graham on her first Television Critics' Association nomination for Individual Achievement in Comedy to TVGuide.com's Mike Ausiello.


"You would never catch me in velour sweatpants that have a brand name across the butt." Cold Case's Kathryn Morris (demonstrating her sheer awesomeness) on her fashion choices to OK! Magazine.


QUICK CUTS

*CBS is shuffling its summer schedule next month. The network will move the weekend edition of its summer reality series Big Brother from its Saturday night slot, where it spent the last few seasons, to Sunday nights at 8 p.m. The move, which is designed to set the stage for fellow reality show The Amazing Race's move to the slot this fall, will bump Cold Case back an hour to 9 p.m. beginning July 16th. Cold Case was scheduled to move to 9 p.m. this fall anyway to make room for Race. Without a Trace will join the pair on Sunday nights at 10 p.m. in an effort to get viewers acclimated to its new fall slot. Big Brother's Tuesday and Thursday editions will not change. In other CBS scheduling news, NCIS and The Unit will move to Friday nights at 8 p.m. and 9 p.m., respectively, beginning July 7th and How I Met Your Mother will get bonus episodes on Monday nights beginning July 10th. The New Adventures of Old Christine will return August 7th. Here's a look at CBS' new summer schedule (including the 90-minute Rock Star: Supernova premiere on July 5th):

CBS's Revised Lineup for Tuesday, July 5
8:00-9:30 PM ROCK STAR: SUPERNOVA (Premiere)
9:30-11:00 PM CSI: MIAMI (R)

CBS's Revised Friday Lineup, Effective July 7
8:00-9:00 PM NCIS
9:00-10:00 PM THE UNIT
10:00-11:00 PM NUMB3RS

CBS's Revised Monday Lineup, Effective July 10
8:00-8:30 PM THE KING OF QUEENS
8:30-9:00 PM HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
9:00-9:30 PM TWO AND A HALF MEN
9:30-10:00 PM HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
10:00-11:00 CSI: MIAMI

CBS'S Revised Sunday Lineup, Effective July 16
7:00-8:00 PM 60 MINUTES
8:00-9:00 PM BIG BROTHER: ALL-STARS (New Time Period)
9:00-10:00 PM COLD CASE (New Time Period)
10:00-11:00 PM WITHOUT A TRACE (New Time Period)


*Actress Alana De La Garza is joining the cast of NBC's Law & Order. She'll play the new assistant district attorney to replace Alexandra Borgia (Annie Parisse), who was killed in the season finale last month. De La Garza was last seen on CBS' CSI: Miami where she played Erik Delco's (Adam Rodriquez) sister and Horatio Caine's (David Caruso) short-lived wife. NBC and series creator/executive producer Dick Wolfe are not commenting on the story.

*Everwood creator/executive producer Greg Berlanti says that there isn't much hope for his critically acclaimed show to return to the television line-up. He tells E! Online's Kristin Veitch that it's past the point of no return. "I feel like the logical thing to say to everyone is, again, we’re so grateful for everyone’s enthusiasm and that they all love the show as much as we did. That’s been tremendously rewarding, but the reality of the situation is, at this point, I don’t know under what circumstance we would be able to put the whole cast and the writers back together," he tells Veitch. Berlanti also says that he's proud of the show and the way it ended. "My sort of general sentiment about Everwood is, look, for four years we got to be a great show, and we didn’t go out on a whimper. We went out with a bang and we went out creatively strong and with a lot of the same audience that was there from the beginning and I think in syndication and on DVD, there’s a real chance that we’ll last." He also thinks that getting seasons 2, 3 and 4 on DVD is the next big step. He says:
But this fan enthusiasm is so appreciated and I would love to sort of redirect it, if I could, to getting the show released on DVD. You know, we got season one released on DVD, and over time, it’s done OK, but initially, it didn’t do well enough for them to slate another run of any of the additional seasons. That’s something that I’m working on and the fans could be of great help with any kind of campaign that they want to do. I’m not going to tell them to do it, but I certainly wouldn’t stand in the way if they were so inclined to redirect their enthusiasm to Warner Home Video.
If you would like to help Everwood in any capacity, click on over to Everwood Online for information on Project Ferris Wheel.

*And finally, I told you about a fantastic new campaign to get all of the seasons of Cold Case on DVD yesterday. Well, the official site of the campaign (www.ColdCaseDVDs.com) is now up and running! Click over there today to learn what you can do to help this fabulous series get to DVD. Wouldn't you love to add Lilly and the gang to your own personal DVD collection? This group of fans is spearheading a simple postcard campaign to make it happen. Click over to ColdCaseDVDs.com to help.

To get more of today's biggest TV news and headlines, visit the TV News section at PassTheRemote.Net.

That's all for today. Be sure to tune in Monday for thoughts on this Sunday's episode of The 4400. Plus, all the latest television news!


To get more television coverage, including the network's new fall schedules and a complete archive of the best of Pass the Remote with a photo gallery featuring pictures from the set of Veronica Mars, click on over to PassTheRemote.net.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the similarities between Bones and Crossing Jordan as well. I really like David Boreanz's character.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... Kathryn Morris says she'll never wear sweatpants with a brand name across the butt but then she totally disses people who wear flip flops... doesn't sound like coherent behavior to me *lifts eyebrow*. But since I know you and Sonny love her--and since I don't know the context it was said in--I'll leave it at that. :D

Bones has sort of caught me by surprise too. I stumbled into it and the first thing that called my attention was how Emily Deschanel (Brennan) resembles a sort of grown-up, serious Rory Gilmore. I like her. She's grouchy and a little crazy, and though the sexual tension oozing between characters should be screaming at me to keep away (future troubles in non-shippingland), I can't do it. It reeled me in despite myself. So I, too, will be watching during rerun season.
~DF

TVFan said...

Hey DF. You know I can't leave my girl Kathryn hanging like that, so I wanted to print her flipflops quote. It's in an article about her personal style from the now defunct INSIDE TV magazine (Sept. 26th, 2005):

"I am not a 'sweats' person - and I only wear flip-flops if I'm going to the beach."

I don't think she was dissing anyone who wears flipflops or sweats, but rather, saying that they're not for her. Later in the article she says:

"I just think women are too beautiful to be frumping around in sweats."

I guess this makes so much sense to me because I've always been the type of person who always tries to look nice if I leave the house. I don't think I even own a pair of sweatpants to be honest. ;-) I wouldn't interpret her statement as dissing anyone, after all, later in the article she talks about shopping at local thrift stores when she's on location. She also talks about "timeless" pieces:

"If you know you'll love it and wear it 10 years from now, it's worth buying."

It's just a "to each their own" type of situation. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you TVFan. She did in fact say the only place she wears flip-flops is to the beach. We are all entitled to our fashion preferences and I'm glad that Kathryn is honest about hers. We all view different things as fashionable and I'm sure that as a fashion lover myself you would never see me wearing skinny jeans because I know they look awful on me.