Thursday, June 01, 2006

Stepping into the TV Confessional! Plus TCA Noms, an AFI Special and 'The 4400'


You are my readers, and I feel that we have formed a relationship over our mutual love of all things television. So in the interest of full disclosure in this relationship, I thought that I should come clean about my TV viewing. You know, confess all of my deepest, darkest TV-related secrets that I don't normally share here out of fear of being permanently banished from the TV Fans Hall of Fame to the Hall of Shame. See, I am a loyal viewer, but there are some areas where I just don't get all the fuss (positive or negative). Here, dear readers, is a list of my TV confessions.


I DON'T LIKE GREY'S ANATOMY - I've tried to watch this show, I really have, but I just can't get through an episode. I find it whiney, slow and entirely too soapy in a non-satirical kind of way. I know that everyone else thinks it's the second coming and the Best-est. Show EVER! But, I just don't get it. I've never been a medical/hospital drama kind of gal anyway, but this one just irks me to the bone. Ellen Pompeo seems to read her lines, and I'm going to scream when she gets an Emmy nomination over Kristen Bell and/or Kathryn Morris. I do like Katherine Heigl and would watch for her and Sandra Oh, but the show is so insipid that I just can't bring myself to endure an hour of it. And that's saying a lot because I don't watch anything on Sunday nights at 10 p.m. Next season, this show will fall off my radar completely (thankfully!) because it's moving up against CSI. Sorry Anatomy fans, but I guess I'm the only one who doesn't get it.


I HATE "TANDEM" EPISODES OF LAW & ORDER: SVU - These so-called "tandem" episodes are designed to save time/money, but I HATE them. These are the episodes where either Elliot or Olivia is MIA because the show shot two episodes at once in tandem. HATE! The final few episodes of this season were total yawn fests for me (I did like the finale, though) because Olivia had moved over to computer crimes (NOTE: I know her portrayer, Mariska Hargitay, is pregnant and I completely appreciate the show's efforts to give her a break during her pregnancy). I let the last few episodes slide and I'll do the same for the beginning of next season, but the tandem episodes will continue to annoy me as long as they use them.


LOST FRUSTRATES ME - But not for the reasons you think. The show frustrates me because it has the potential to be absolutely phenomenal, but it often falls short. The 2-hour season finale proved that Lost can be mind-blowing good as did the first few episodes of the season, but most of the episodes in the middle settled into that comfortable land of mediocrity. They were anywhere from alright to good, but never outstanding or amazing. Seeing the finale made me realize how much the show underachieves. Yes, I know that not every episode can be excellent, and uneven episodes are just part of loving a TV show, but I just wish that we could get more excellent episodes from this show. I'm holding out hope that we will next season. Either way, I'm never giving up on this show, excellent or mediocre.


I WANT TO STOP WATCHING DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, BUT CAN'T - Speaking of mediocre, this show is the definition. Sure, the finale had moments of brilliance that reminded us that it still has that special something, but such moments were interspersed with more ridiculous ones. The season as a whole was more in the "stinker" category than anything else, especially with that Applewhite non-starter/snooze-fest. Making things even worse for this show is the fact that things aren't looking too promising for next season. As sure as I am that Mike didn't die, I still hate the way the episode ended with his life hanging in the balance. I am also tired of Bree dating psychos. First crazy George, then sex addict Peter who slept with Andrew and now the pedestrian-mower dentist. I am curious to see how Lynette and Tom deal with this new curve ball and Gaby and Carlos continue to crack me up (although, I'm not a fan of their most recent development), so perhaps these are the things that keep me coming back. Whatever the reason, I just can't seem to quit Desperate Housewives.


I LIKE KAT - SORT OF - It's true, I do like Kat the character, but I'm still not sold on the idea that adding a sixth detective to Cold Case was a good idea. So far, the extra character hasn't taken away from the five core characters, but I continue to cross my fingers and toes that things stay that way. I like the fact that Kat doesn't seem to have as much baggage as the others and she even has a daughter. Maybe she can help Lilly balance her personal and professional lives correctly next season. And speaking of Kat and Lilly, I was overjoyed when Kat helped her with that whole Joseph mess in the season finale. Lilly could use some female friends, and Kat could fill that void nicely since they're both detectives. As long as the show doesn't "Josie Sutton" us this time (and it hasn't so far), then I'll continue to enjoy Kat's character and her addition to the show.


I HAVE A (NOT SO?) SECRET CRUSH ON PHIL - But who doesn't, really? I mean, how can you not love a man who can rock a turtleneck as hard as Phil? As much as I love The Amazing Race for the adventure, teams, challenges and excitement, it just wouldn't be the same if Phil wasn't waiting on the mat when the teams check in, or if he wasn't doing ridiculous segments where he somewhat demonstrates the Roadblock or Detour. And how could I possibly watch an episode without hearing those ingrained- in- my- brain words, "A Detour is a choice between two tasks - Each with its own pros and cons." This latest edition of TAR would not have been as excellent if we hadn't gotten the PhilJig at the Pit Stop in Siracusa, Italy. Nope, the show wouldn't be the same and neither would my love for it. Phil rocks, and not just those turtle necks!



I'M NOT READY FOR VERONICA & LOGAN TO BE TOGETHER - I know blasphemous, right? Don't get me wrong, though, I definitely want them to end up together - just not now. Logan still has a lot of maturing and growing to do before he's ready to be the guy he wants to be for Veronica. These two have a strong connection that I don't think either can deny, and they have been through a lot together, but Logan is still the randy frat boy deep down and Veronica has always been wise beyond her years. It's an odd combination that I think will work itself out to become the epic love story that Logan thinks it is already. I can't wait for that to happen, but I'm interested in going along for the ride until it does.


I DON'T THINK LILLY WAS OUT OF CHARACTER - This is such a hotly contested issue that I decided to watch the pivital scenes from the Cold Case finale again with new eyes, and guess what? I still don't think Lilly was out of character. I think that what happened in the finale had been building all season. We know that she wanted to stop spending her time at work at the expense of her personal life, so allowing herself to have feelings for Joseph didn't strike me as odd. Of course, she got in a little over her head when she agreed to keep Joseph's status a secret, but even she admitted it to Scotty when he stopped by to see her. I think that she was just so enthralled with this guy that she lost sight of doing the right thing and she almost paid a high price for it. I guess I just see that as an extension of her character since I don't expect her or anyone else to be unflappable or incapable of making a big mistake.

So, there you have it - a list of some of my darkest TV confessions. What TV secrets are you hiding? Maybe like me, you dislike a popular show or love a guilty pleasure? Or maybe you just don't get all the fuss over some of the season finale developments. Whatever your confession, drop me a comment with it or just let me know how much you agree or (more likely) disagree with mine.

QUICK CUTS

*The Television Critics Association released its 2006 TCA Award nominations and Scrubs, Gilmore Girls' Lauren Graham and new shows My Name is Earl and got lots of love. Scrubs is up for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy, Graham is up for Individual Achievement in a Comedy and Chris and Earl will vie for Outstanding New Program of the Year and Outstanding Achievement in a Comedy along with Scrubs. The awards will be handed out July 23rd. To see a full list of nominations, click on over to The Ausiello Report at TVGuide.com.

*CBS will air a new special featuring the American Film Institute's (AFI) most inspiring movies of all time. The special, AFI's 100 Years...100 Cheers: America's Most Inspiring Movies, will feature Jessica Alba, Angela Bassett, Don Cheadle, Melissa Etheridge, Sally Field, Jane Fonda, Whoopi Goldberg, Lou Gossett, Jr., Ed Harris, James Earl Jones, William H. Macy, Marlee Matlin, Edward James Olmos, Sidney Poitier, Steven Spielberg, Cicely Tyson and others as it counts down the confidential list. More than 1,500 members of the creative community decided which movies would make the list from the original 300 that the AFI chose. The special will air June 14th on CBS.

*NBC is giving an extra boost to The 4400, which airs on it sister channel USA. The network will air an hour long clip show this weekend in preparation for the show's 3rd season premiere on June 11th. The special, Unlocking the Secrets, gives a complete run down of the first two seasons so that new fans and those that want a refresher can catch up. The special airs Saturday night at 9 p.m. on NBC and The 4400 kicks off its 3rd season with a 2-hour premiere on June 11th on USA Network.

*And finally, it's Nielsen Wednesday Thursday! An American Idol - fueled Fox won the week in total viewers and the 18-49 year olds. The network was led by the American Idol finale (#1, #2), House (#3) and 24 (#8). CSI: Miami (#4), Lost (#5), Two and a Half Men (#6), Deal or No Deal (#7), CSI (r) (#9) and The New Adventures of Old Christine (#10) rounded out the top 10. To see a list of the top 20 shows from last week, click on over to USA Today. And since the summer season is upon us, Nielsen Wednesday will go on hiatus until the fall when your favorite shows return. For weekly Nielsen updates over the summer, click over to USA Today.

To get more of today's biggest TV news and headlines, visit the TV News section at PassTheRemote.Net.


That's all for today. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for a special plea to TPTB of a Pass the Remote favorite show and Friday Fun: Summer Style. Plus, all the latest television news! And starting in less than two weeks, a summer-long countdown of the best episodes of the season!

To get more television coverage, including the network's new fall schedules and a complete archive of the best of Pass the Remote with a photo gallery featuring pictures from the set of Veronica Mars, click on over to PassTheRemote.net.

4 comments:

Scooter McGavin said...

I totally agree with you on Grey's Anotomy, Lost, Vee & Logan, I'm still hoping Ronnie starts wearing an "I (Heart) Dick" t-shirt.

As for Desperate Housewives, maybe we should sponser each other. Granted I think all it would really take is for one of the other networks to put something worth watching at the same time.

Anonymous said...

You know how I feel about Grey's Anatomy. That's all I will say on that subject.
I agree with you on Lost and of course Phil is the bomb!!

As for Veronica and Logan, I just hope they do take things slowly so we can sit back and enjoy the ride.

One show I just can't see what all the hoopla is about is The Office. I have tried that show twice and can't even begin to make it through. I just don't get it. I don't see the big deal with all the CSIs either. I guess they just aren't my thing.
One show I wish I had time to watch is House. Maybe over the summer.

TVFan said...

Oh Scooter, I think I'm beyond help with DH. Next season, CBS is moving Cold Case against it(clearly, one of my fav shows), and yet, I'm still planning on recording DH and watching it on Monday nights! Why can't I stop watching??

suekola44 - I only get the original CSI. The others seem like clones set in a different city, so I never watch them. I appreciate that The Office has a different sense of humor that I just don't get either.

Anonymous said...

These confessions were the best! TVFan, you're very brave, though most of your followers seem to be of the same opinion ('cept me, but you already know all my deepest, darkest secrets--I won't make you hate me by mentioning them again... though I sorta already did in your latest entry *shame*).

All I can say is... I actually LIKE Grey's Anatomy. It's not gonna become my favorite show (I don't wanna have ANY MORE fave shows) but I can enjoy it just fine. There's a feel to it I like. Not the soapyness--that's part of the reason I REFUSED to watch it at first--but maybe the whining (guess I'm just one hell of a whiny gal). Plus some of the stuff they go through I can identify with. Boring to some, sure. I can accept that. Best show this season? Nahhh.

One other deep dark confession: I sincerely don't like reality shows. I put up with some, but overall they bore me. Can't "follow" any of them, even AI and ANTP I can only "do" every once in a while.

All this with the greatest respect and regard to your opinions, of course. :)