Tuesday, August 07, 2007

‘The Closer’ Surprises



By LillyKat
PTR Staff Writer


I was wrong.

Totally.

Poor Brenda Leigh Johnson has been officially diagnosed with early onset menopause. She is not, as some of us (okay, me) thought, pregnant.

Whew! Glad we got that out of the way.

And yet, word of warning: by no means should you assume that this diagnosis – and the subsequent blubbery that followed it (“This isn’t supposed to be happening. I’m 100 years too young.”) – was the central focus of this episode.

Nor was it Fritz’s beautifully worded, loving and tender proposal to Brenda whilst in the doctor’s office. (“I’ve arrived at that place where I can’t imagine my life without you.” Awww … have we mentioned lately how much we love Fritz? Well, we do. I ask again: why can’t Detective Lilly Rush find a Fritz?)

It wasn’t even the fabulous S. Epatha Merkerson (Law & Order) guest starring as Brenda’s no-nonsense doctor. On being fully into menopause herself, she has one of the best lines ever on that awkward state women find themselves in after a certain age: “I haven’t slept in three years, and I keep a fan in my purse.”

Rather, this episode was about a serial killer.

The PCH Killer to be exact.

Appropriately titled “Manhunt,” the team is called to investigate the murder of a young Deputy District Attorney’s wife who is found on the beach - beaten, tortured and marked by a serial killer who has remerged after almost a 10-year absence.

His MO: he kills three women in nine days (three days apart).

DDA’s wife was #2.

Clock’s running.

There was an obvious sense of urgency – of desperation almost – on Brenda’s part to try and stop the killing of the third victim.

We remember the memo: do not mess with, stall, irritate, obstruct or lie to Brenda Leigh Johnson when she’s investigating a murder – and especially when she’s trying to prevent one from happening. (“There is a woman’s life at stake here. Do not test me on this, sir.”)

It seems DDA and his wife were a bit … how should we say … open with their marriage. They belonged to an S&M sex club called The Verge. Wife was into things hubby wasn’t. Enter Lucas D. Jones. He was one of those fit, military types DDA wife liked whilst frequenting The Verge and of who was apparently into everything – torture, bondage, murder.

There have been some tense moments on The Closer, and when Brenda goes to the boat house to talk to Jones, you just got the sense something was going to go wrong - the isolation of the location and ominousness as she approached; her observing all of the inflatable dingy rafts and scuba tanks (which she had determined the killer was using to kill the women off shore, then bring the bodies up onto the beach); the cattle prod batteries (a preferred signature on the bodies of the victims).

Jones had no intention of going quietly.

And I don’t think we’ve yet seen Brenda in such a potential life-threatening situation. I could not help but think (as Jones came around the corner to stun her with the cattle prod), “Man, I hope that last minute call to Lieutenant Provenza requesting back-up went through.”

Suffice it to say not only is Brenda bad-ass tough, she’s a dang good shot, too (even with Jones seeming to do his best Michael Myers / Jason Voorhees impression as he continued to come at Brenda with multiple gun shot wounds to the chest).

Brenda: “Killing someone is not my idea of closing a case.”
Fritz: “You kept that guy from killing someone … Melinda Trent … Remember that name.”

All’s well that end’s well.

Or as Brenda says, “I’m so glad not to be dating ever again.”

So am I.

New episodes air Mondays at 9 p.m. on TNT.

2 comments:

TVFan said...

LOVED, loved, loved this one! I had no idea that proposal was coming! It was so sweet and sincere. Love that Fritz-y! Brenda's two interrogations with the DDA were AMAZING! Kyra continues to blow me away.

I think my favorite scene of the night was the final one with Brenda and Fritz at home. Her struggle to accept how things turned out with the case and the major personal development in her life was real and heartwrenching. This was definitely a classic ep for this series.

Anonymous said...

Another solid episode of The Closer. I just finished rewatching it since I got a phone call right in the middle of the show last night. Everything about this episode was awesome! The case was interesting. Brenda's personal issues were even more interesting. And the ending was so heartwarming. I agree with you about Fritz. He is just so perfect for Brenda or any woman for that matter.