Monday, August 06, 2007

No Way Out on 'The 4400'

This close. We were this close to getting rid of Megan last night, but it was all a dream. I knew her "death" was too good to be true, so I didn't get my hopes too far up. I want to like her, I really do, but I wind up rolling my eyes when she's involved in the story (for the record, I have nothing against the actress). On the plus side, I can now say with complete confidence that my dislike for her comes from her ability to take story lines away from more worthy characters. Apart from the Megan "Non-Death," I found this episode to be pretty awesome. I just love how this show manages to do something different every week. It keeps me guessing and interested. Four seasons in, and it's still packed with originality. This week, the writers managed to get all of the main characters together for the entire hour -- not a small feat considering the different paths they're on. One of Marco's crew had taken the promicin shot and developed a whammy of an ability. He dreams a virtual reality where people from different sides have to work together in order to overcome an obstacle. Once the obstacle is neutralized, the "game" ends and everyone wakes up back in the real world. Ideally, the teamwork in the virtual reality forms bonds that carry over to the real world, but this was going to be a tall order for a group that includes NTAC, Jordan Collier and Isabelle Tyler. In the end, they managed to put their differences aside for the greater good, but this doesn't mean that things will change in reality. Although, Jordan called Tom to let him know that Shawn was OK, and Tom actually referred to him as "Jordan" instead of Collier. Baby steps.

I know a lot of you are still smarting over Diana and Marco's break-up last season, so last night's little heart-to-heart between these two was a nice olive branch from the show. Personally, I think they make great friends, but not-so-great lovers. And Maia was right; things have been (understandably) awkward since Diana dumped him. Meatloaf is a nice launching point for a return to their friendship, though. LOVED Diana's "knock it off" look toward Maia when she kept pushing the conversation about the awkwardness between her mother and Marco. In fact, LOVED everything about the continued Diana/Maia dynamic this week. The second Maia began cozying up to Isabelle and Shawn, Diana was right there to make sure the girl who threatened her daughter wasn't working closely with her. Don't mess with Diana when she's in "mommy mode."

If you missed last night's episode, check out the 2-minute replay at the show's official site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome episode! I agree with you about Marco. I have no desire to see them as a couple. As for Megan, I thought she was done until Shawn bit the dust. Then I knew something was up. Like you said, so close!