Friday, January 16, 2009

'Friday Night' Finale

Well, I really hope this was the season finale and not the series finale.  It felt an awful lot like the latter, though, didn't it?  I'm not sure how I'd feel about a fourth season minus Lyla, Tyra, Riggins and all of the others who have already left Dillon.  And then there's the whole Coach Taylor debacle.  It won't be the same if he's not wearing the blue Dillon Panthers jacket on the sidelines.  He's not meant to be an East Dillon Lion!  My ire toward Joe McCoy grows with each passing episode.  This man is despicable and he has the board wrapped around his gold-plated finger.  You know who has to be pi$$ed about this -- Buddy Garrity!  Remember the good ole days when Buddy's influence carried all of the weight?  Whatever he wanted, he got.  Now, he can't even keep the coach of the Dillon Panthers in his position and the man took them to state!  How far the mighty hath fallen!  I guess this is what happens when you make a bad real estate gamble, beat up the guy responsible in a strip club and destroy said strip club in the process.  I'm just glad Lyla saw the light, found the money and hightailed her butt to Vanderbilt (and not just because it's an SEC school)!  I feel much better knowing that she's where she needs to be.

My favorite story line of the night was, by far, Tyra's moving waiting-game plight.  I could so relate.  I wasn't wait listed at my dream school, but I was checking the mail scared to death to get that letter and yet, dying to know if I got in.  I did, and that's why I know what that feeling feels like.  I rejoiced along with Tyra and felt so proud for her.  All of her hard work paid off (no thanks to that kickass essay, I'm sure).  What a moving moment!

I don't want this to be the last season of Friday Night Lights.  I want to continue to follow the joys, triumphs, tears, disappointments, achievements and failures of the residents of Dillon, Texas.  But if this is the end, I will take comfort in the fact that this show ended on a high note -- as high as the note it hit when it premiered 2 years ago.  This is a show that never sold out for a bigger audience or flashier coverage.  It stayed true to itself much like the folks of Dillon.  Now, it's NBC's turn to air the brilliant 3rd season.  The rest of us will have to play a waiting game of our own.  Will it sink or will it swim?  Like Tyra, I'll be waiting with nervous apprehension.   

Friday Night Lights returns to NBC TONIGHT!!!  Get caught up at nbc.com and then watch the brilliant 3rd season each Friday on NBC.  You'll thank me later.

No comments: