Tuesday, November 03, 2009

One 'Mother' of a Fight


Anyone who is in or has been in a long-term relationship can completely relate to Lily and Marshall's power struggle fight over dishes in this week's episode.  I am a "Lily,"in that, I too want the dishes cleaned as soon as you're done eating with them.  They can simply be rinsed off and placed into the dishwasher, but for the love of all that's good and holy, please don't leave them in the sink!  As you can see, Mr. TVFan and I have gone back and forth over this very issue in the past.  Luckily for him, he did not suggest that I clean all the dishes since it's "my problem" that I want them clean.  If he had, I'm afraid that he would have been packing a much bigger suitcase than Marshall.  Nonetheless, the bottom line with these sorts of domestic differences is you have to learn to live with each other's differences in order to make the relationship work.  And as Lily and Marshall stated at the end, these fights boil down to swallowing your pride and realizing that your love for each other is greater than winning.  It can be a tough pill to swallow at times, but if you love the other person enough, then you do it.  But, I got the impression that neither Barney nor Robin will be swallowing that pill anytime soon.  Yeah, that relationship is never getting off the ground.



Having said that, I also know from personal experience that exiting the "Honeymoon" phase and getting into the "good stuff" is a rough transition.  I remember the days of "We don't fight. No, really, we don't" until we did.  I love how the show covered the fact that all of the old fights that they had refused to fight came back to haunt them.  We all know that conflict, if left unresolved, will continue to surface until it's rightfully concluded.  Barney and Robin's fights looked funny!  I have to say, though, I'm relieved that they were merely covering up the fact that they started fighting instead of the alternative: they had really become that cutesy-lovey-dovey in their relationship.  Thank goodness for Phil!  Otherwise, we might have been stuck watching those two pretend to be the perfect couple.  In the end, though, both Barney/Robin and Marshall/Lily were back to "bagpiping."

How I Met Your Mother airs Mondays on CBS. If you missed last night's episode, watch it for free at cbs.com.

2 comments:

John said...

I expected to find out that Phil was a bluff on Ted's part.

I hope they don't abandon Barney/Robin. It would be fun to watch their thing evolve into a real relationship (over a few yeas that is).

On a different topic:

I like your new format of short intros and then a jump. It cuts down on the scrolling down.

TVFan said...

I'd like to see the show explore the Barney/Robin thing a bit further as well. I think there's a lot of interesting potential because of them both being such commitment phobes.

I'm glad you like the new format. It was definitely time for a change.