Tuesday, June 05, 2007

PTR Can't Live Without Drama

Yesterday, we took a look at the comedies that PTR Cannot Live Without. Today, the dramas step up to the plate while the characters are on deck. And now, a look at the dramas that I Cannot Live Without:

Veronica Mars (The CW)
Sadly, I'll be living without this one next season, but I won't be happy about it! This series struggled to find itself this year - first concluding the mystery too quickly and then fixing it the second time around to finally moving to a more episode-contained mystery format. The latter worked the best, but low ratings sank its chance of trying out the new, more successful format next season. It's too bad because VM was back to being the VM that we all know and loved for three seasons. This show is almost too smart for the average viewer with cultural references that zip around so fast your head will spin, intelligent one-liners, intricate cases, and characters that never fail to move us in some way each week. Veronica Mars was one of those once in a TV lifetime kind of shows. My schedule is not going be as complete without it.

Friday Night Lights (NBC)
With every dark cloud, there is a silver lining and the renewal of this gem was certainly the silver lining to VM's cancellation. I started watching FNL because I thought Mr. TVFan would enjoy it. Turns out, we both fell in love with this Southern football-obsessed town and it's complex characters with their heart-wrenching stories. This is a show you can cheer for, cry with, laugh at and just feel good about throughout the season. It failed to turn out a weak episode, and it gave us characters that you'll see on the next couple of days' lists. When it comes to quality, no show can top this one.

Cold Case (CBS)
My favorite show was back this season after leaving me a little under-whelmed the year before. Intriguing well-written cases, memorable characters, and excellent personal drama and developments for the core detectives contributed to Case's best season ever. Highlights included Lilly's continued inner struggle and her personal tragedies with her mother and her shooting in the finale, women's rights, and disturbing stories that left me feeling a little shaken. There are plenty of crime dramas on television, but this one is the best because of its stories and characters. The writers make us care about the cases and the detectives who are investigating them without compromising either. And I can't wait to see how Lilly copes with her membership in the shot-on-the-job club. Good thing Kat is there to show her the ropes.

So, these are my Cannot Live Without Dramas. What are yours? Leave me a comment with your essential list. Tomorrow, we'll take a look at the men of television in day 1 of PTR's essential characters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really still enjoy Medium and ER. ER was on top of its game this season. Of course you know how I feel about Grey's Anatomy. Last but certainly not least, the always enjoyable Boston Legal. I'm not so sure that one is even a drama. It has me cracking up every week. I just love the outrageousness of it all! I really love the way the show doesn't take itself seriously and can really laugh at itself.

Scooter McGavin said...

Of course Veronica Mars *sigh* would also be on my list but I would also add Rescue Me which luckily starts up again next week.