Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Countdown Reveals this Year's Winner!

Well, we have made it through the summer-long countdown, which means that it is time to reveal the #1 Best Episode of the Season. For the final time, here is a look at the rules I employed to compose the list of this year's winners. I ended up with 30 incredible episodes that demonstrate the diversity and quality of the current television state. All of the shows and their episodes are from NETWORK television only, meaning that I did not take any cable series into consideration (since I only watch a few and felt that it would be unfair). All episodes aired between September 2006 and June 2007. Each episode that made the final list moved me in some way; either by making me laugh out loud, cry my eyes out or just left me with that "wow" feeling that stays with you for a few days. So basically, it's completely subjective! Since this is a summer-long countdown to the number 1 episode, I will reveal a few each week all summer. So, be sure to tune in on Thursdays to find out which episodes are on the countdown! Before we get to #3-1, here's a quick review of #30-4:

30. "All the Saints, Sinners" Without a Trace
29. "The Headless Witch in the Woods" Bones
28. "6 Months Ago" Heroes
27. "Postgame Mortem" Veronica Mars
26. "Fireflies" Cold Case
25. "Mother's Little Helper" Medium
24. "New York Fiction" Men in Trees
23. "Rampage" Cold Case
22. "Enter 77" Lost
21. "Kept a Guy Locked in a Truck" My Name is Earl
20. "Bang" Desperate Housewives
19. "Aliens in a Spaceship" Bones
18. "Our Cops is On" My Name is Earl
17. "Git 'Er Done" Friday Night Lights
16. "My Big Fat Greek Rush Week" Veronica Mars
15. "Collision" Heroes
14. "Fallout" Jericho
13. "Gilmore Girls Only" Gilmore Girls
12. "My Point of No Return" Scrubs
11. "South of the Border" My Name is Earl
10. "Forever Blue" Cold Case
9. "Responsible" Law & Order: SVU
8. "Expose" Lost
7. "Pilot" Friday Night Lights
6. "Deep Water" Without a Trace
5. "The Bitch is Back" Veronica Mars
4. "Stalker" Cold Case

And now, the Top 3 episodes of the season...

3: "My Musical" - Scrubs
How can you not love an episode that sings about everything coming down to poo and "Guy Love" and every other funny thing imaginable?? Most episodes of this hilarious comedy are pretty genius, but this one was off the charts. Everything from the aforementioned "poo song" to Dr. Cox's song about why JD drives him crazy (LOVED Janitor's spotlighted solo!) to "Guy Love," Turk and Carla's tango and JD wanting to know which of them was the best singer in the patient's head was done so brilliantly that I forgot that I wasn't watching a real musical. It's no coincidence that the episode played out like a show on New York's famous theater street. The people behind Broadway's Avenue Q were also behind this stellar hour. These guys made the episode feel real, and not like a show that was trying to do a musical episode. After watching this, I can imagine a Scrubs: The Musical opening on Broadway in summer '08! I'd be there opening night. Written by Debra Fordham and Directed by Will MacKenzie.

2: "State" - Friday Night Lights
This episode was all set to be the number 1 best of the season until it was upstaged (only slightly, though). Seriously, it was that good and it easily could have shared the top spot had I allowed ties. I laughed, moved to the edge of my seat, cheered, and teared up as the Dillon Panthers attempted to put the crowning jewel on their rollercoaster season. BUT, some of the best moments happened off the field. Landry's roadtrip with Tyra's family, Matt's grandmother and Lyla Garrity was pure comic gold while Lyla's continued struggle to accept her parents' divorce (and her father's infidelities) was moving and tragic. But the best moment was saved for my two favorite characters -- Coach Taylor and his wife Tami. These two often share the best moments of the series, but watching Tami tell Eric that she's pregnant is my favorite scene from any show this season. I just loved his reaction, and Tami's huge sense of relief. It was a moving, funny, tearful scene that beautifully demonstrates everything that is so wonderful and perfect about this show. Written by Patrick Massett and directed by Jeffrey Reiner. (Photo courtesy of nbc.com)

And now, after an entire summer of counting down episodes, we're finally up to the number one episode of the past season. Drum roll please....

1: "Through the Looking Glass" - Lost
Talk about your the jaw-dropping endings! This one revealed the eventual fate of the survivors of flight 815. You see, the flashbacks weren't flashbacks at all. They were flash-forwards into the future after Jack and co. get off the island (or was it the present - you can never be too sure with this show). And yes, it seems that they do indeed get off the island eventually. Throw in a mystery funeral and a sad exit for Charlie and you have the makings of this season's best episode. Just in case the Jack meeting Kate in the future scene wasn't quite shocking enough, there was also Charlie's final message. The ship and the parachuter are not working with Penelope. Was the seemingly evil Ben right all along?? Did Jack's satellite phone call set into motion a dangerous plan that will send everyone home, but destroy the island? Perhaps, Ben isn't as wrong as we think. Talk about chilling! Written by executive producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse and directed by Jack Bender. (Screencap courtesy of Lost-Media.com.)

Well, there you have it -- the complete list of PTR's Best Episodes of the Season! Do you agree? Disagree? Are there episodes that PTR left off the list? Leave me a comment with your thoughts on the final list. If you would like to take a closer look at numbers 30-4, click the "Best Episodes" link at the bottom of this post.

3 comments:

Scooter McGavin said...

A lot of my favorite episodes left off your list: Spit and Eggs, Mars Bars (Veronica Mars), The Wrap Party, The Christmas Show (Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip), Company Man (Heroes) as well as my favorite hour (Mud Bowl - Friday Night Lights) and favorite half hour (Two Balls, Two Strikes - My Name Is Earl) of the past year.

Anonymous said...

I've got to hand it to you, tvfan ... to keep track of as many shows AND as many episodes of those shows so as to compile your annual list is impressive. Even though I watch more cable stuff than network, I have enjoyed following the countdown just to see what you liked best about the episodes and shows most watched here at PTR. (Of course, I could relate to the Cold Case selections. :) )

Anonymous said...

You surprised me tvfan! I thought for sure tht Scrubs the Musical would be your #1 pick. But at least it made #3. I have to say that Lost finale episode was awesome!