Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Thrilling 'Case' Kicks off the New Season This Sunday

Danny Pino, Kathryn Morris, and John Finn shoot a scene for tomorrow night's 5th season opener "Thrill Kill." (Photo courtesy CBS/Warner Bros. Television)

This is a very exciting time for PTR because we're hours away from the 5th season premiere of my favorite show Cold Case! And I know what you're thinking, "Cold Case is your favorite show?? No way! Next you'll tell me that Kathryn Morris is your favorite PTR fave!" As surprising as it may be (since I NEVER cover either), CC and yes Kathryn are my favorite faves. So as you can imagine, I'm about two 80s tunes away from bursting into song with "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year." This season, the CC gang celebrates 100 episodes! A milestone for any show and one that is usually marked with cake (of course!). The crazy CC gang is no exception, and fortunately for us, Entertainment Tonight was there to mark the occasion and tease star Kathryn Morris about her Emmy magazine cover:


Before we reach that milestone, CC kicks off the season with an episode that centers on the music of Nirvana. According to a CBS press release, the featured songs are: "All Apologies," "Stay Away," "If You Must," "Lithium," "Drain You," "Heart Shaped Box," "Something in the Way" and "Come as You Are." The songs will set the backdrop as the gang reopens the 1994 case of three fatally beaten boys and Lilly struggles to assimilate back into her normal life after being shot in last season's finale. I have a brand-new preview thanks to the wonderful folks at CBS:


And finally, there are a couple of great new CC-related articles. First, The Philadelphia Inquirer caught up with the cast during a recent location shoot in Philly. Executive Producer Veena Sud told the newspaper that Lilly is going to have a rough road this season. "For Lilly, her mother's death symbolizes many things," Sud told the paper. "A closing of a chapter in her life, a need to move past some emotional issues." But according to Sud, it won't just extend to Lilly. "This season, Rush is going to be dealing with the fallout of the shooting, and so are the others," she explains. Morris added, "She comes back to work like usual, pretending that nothing happened. But when she was in the hospital, Lilly saw the beyond and she saw that she's alone." Back on the set, the newspaper found the cast stopping to talk with fans in between takes:
On the set, the stars did not disappear into their trailers during their short breaks. Instead, they posed for cell-phone photos with fans and politely signed autographs on everything from Starbucks napkins to ticket stubs from the King Tut exhibition. The actor in most demand, of course, was Morris, who, despite appearing in every shot, took the time to greet as many people as she could.
And you wonder why I love this show! Speaking of Morris, she did a recent Q&A with Bankrate.com. In the article, she talks about her splurges since finding her success:
To me, it's a nice thing to be able to invite a friend or family member on a trip that I was going on for work. It's nice to be able to say "I'd love it if you'd come with me. When I was in Australia a few years ago, I got to climb across the bridge with a harness and bring two friends with me -- how great was that? So those are some splurges to me. Or, if I send a girlfriend a pair of expensive shoes for no reason at all. And if I buy something for myself because hey, I worked a 22-hour day and I'm really proud of what I did today. I like to be able to celebrate that moment in life. So my splurges can be really big or really small but always satisfying.
TV Guide critic Matt Roush has certain actors that he'd follow even to the crappiest show on television simply because of their acting brilliance and seemingly "good person" qualities. Kathryn is mine (along with a few others). You can read more from The Philadelphia Inquirer article HERE and more from Bankrate.com's interview with Kathryn HERE.

Cold Case kicks off its 5th season tomorrow night (September 23rd) at 9 p.m. on CBS. Of course, PTR will have full coverage the following day.

No comments: