Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Stone 'Cold' Murder

They say you should never judge a book by its cover, but you all know you've been at Borders browsing for something to read and you settle on the one with the most fetching cover. Well, the same can be said about the first few minutes of an episode of your favorite show. It starts, you decide right then and there whether this one is a keeper, and you proceed from there. Except sometimes, something happens somewhere along the way and you realize that the first few minutes were a terrible indicator of the episode's success. This is exactly what happened to me this week with Cold Case. I was not so into the beginning of this one. It just reeked of cliches, "been there done that," and "there better be a lot of Lilly involvement to balance out this terrible case." BUT, something happened somewhere in the middle and this episode suddenly became a keeper for me. Carrie turned into an extremely sympathetic victim and her murder scene was horrifying, painful, and deeply disturbing. I found myself cringing as I watched the four members of her abstinence club stone her to death (yes, the bible reference was clever). LOVED the fact that the killer turned out to be killers because I never saw it coming. I had the perv youth minister pegged from the moment I saw him. Of course, he wasn't exactly innocent either. LOVED the closing scenes with Scotty giving the mother the secret that Carrie kept ("I think that God loves me for who I am"), the mug shots of Carrie's killers, and Lilly "seeing" Carrie. And going back to judging that book by its cover -- what a fitting theme for this week's outing. It seems that people, like books, aren't always how they appear. Too bad Carrie had to find that out the hard way.

Well, my girl Lil seemed a little more together this week -- at least on the outside. Just gonna go out on a limb here and say that Lil wasn't at the crime scene bright and early because she was out throwing a few back with pals. Me thinks she's having trouble sleeping thanks to that nasty case of post traumatic stress disorder she's (notso) secretly nursing. A little counseling would probably do her some good. Even though she's a wreck on the inside, girlfriend is lookin' amazing on the outside! I would like to give the CC hair department a standing ovation for giving Lilly a sophisticated, professional updo this week! Hands down - Best. Hair style. Ever on this show. It was so good it warranted me breaking my vow of silence on her hair. Encore! Encore!

So to review: good case, disturbing murder scene, Lil's new 'do, Kat (how funny was that ending scene with her and Veronica outside the lingerie shop??!!) and The Goo Goo Dolls' "Black Balloon" all added up to another stellar hour. Cold Case moves to 2-0 on the season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was another solid ep. It's interesting this question about is Lil' drinking or not ... she indicated that's why she was there so early, but it never occurred to me it all might be a front. Good observation, tvfan. I could definitely see her not sleeping/PTSD setting in, and it's just easier to make everyone think she's tossing back a few with friends (what friends?). LOL! Excellent recap as always.

Anonymous said...

I thought also that about the drinking thing right away. I love the scene with stillman and her. I also am going out on a limb maybe very far fetched, but when Scotty was being interview again... they guy said "when you inteded to take out Ed"... i just feel they are draging this thing out...what if he shot Lilly too!!!! I think they would tell him right away, but maybe not... that would be bad

Anonymous said...

I missed the middle of this episode but fortunately was able to still put all the pieces together. That death scene was indeed disturbing!! Have to agree with you about Lil's do this week. What a difference between that updo and a few seasons ago! Another great ep!!