Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Matt Gets the Cold Shower Treatment

I think I'm running out of superlatives to describe Friday Night Lights, so please excuse me if I sound a bit like a broken record during this first part. This show is AMAZING (have I tried the all caps version of "amazing" yet?)!!! And last week's hour may very well be the finest of any show this season and quite possibly the finest to ever grace a television screen. I'm having a hard time articulating just how amazing it was and I can't decide which moment constitutes my favorite. Let's see, there was Tami's desperate plea at the DMV after forgetting about her daughter's drivers test, Julie's heartbreaking discovery that her mom forgot about her because of the volleyball team, Coach Taylor throwing an out-of-control Matt Saracen (there's a phrase I thought I'd never use) into the shower, Matt's tearful admission that everybody leaves him, and Smash's breakdown after learning that his scholarship to TMU had been revoked. This show is a highlight reel filled with unforgettable moments, but this episode seemed to have an extra few thrown in to make it stand out even further from the pack.

Perhaps my favorite moment of the night, though, was a more poignant, subdued one right at the end. Watching Smash pump up his team before the big game and then stay behind as they took to the field was, in a word, HEARTWRENCHING! I'm just not sure which was more brilliant: Gaius Charles' flawless performance or the beautifully understated directing in that scene. The stagnant shot of the empty locker room, the joyous sounds in the distance of the beginning of the game, and a remorseful and broken Smash Williams left behind to wallow in what could be the beginning of the end of his future - it was all too powerful to capture with words. One final thought: Tyra + Landry + getting back together = Best. News. Ever!!!

Photos courtesy nbc.com

No comments: