Wednesday, February 20, 2008

'Psych' You Out in the End

Can you see me now? How about now? Now?

No, it isn't the latest ad for another does-it-all cell phone - it's the most recent antic from our favorite cable duo Shawn and Gus. For those keeping score, Shawn won when he finally beat the security camera and prevented Gus from seeing him. All of this did have a point as the pair investigated the bizarre disappearance of an ancient mummy at a local museum. Last week's season finale was part Wizard of Oz (Gus running out of the museum was reminiscent of the lion), part Austin Powers (the 11-point turn), a big part Scooby Doo (I can't believe how well that analogy ended up working for me), and a lot of HILARIOUS! I actually had to pause my DVR while I laughed hysterically during some of the scenes.

I laugh at funny things all the time -- jokes, my pets, the American Idol auditions, Scrubs DVDs, etc. -- but I'm pretty sure I haven't laughed as hard as I did at Gus's 11-point turn in a very long time. I'm not sure what was funnier: the ridiculous trouble he went through to get that little car turned around or Shawn's commentary ("Dude, he's not even going to be in California by the time we get out of here!" and "Dude, you got it. You clearly had it after the second..." and the very simple, yet very funny "Really????!!"). Couple that with Gus's constant disappearing act at any sight of the mummy ("Great. Now we got a mummy on the loose and the son-of-a-bitch knows how to drive a stick!") and you get one side-splitting hour. With the mummy on the loose, creepy night scenes, and Gus getting terrified and taking off, I half expected Shawn to let out a "Zoinks!" Shaggy-style.

Of course, no season finale is complete without a good cliffhanger. This one ended with Shawn answering the door and with a surprised look on his face, uttering the word "Mom." It seems the elusive Mrs. S. is back in town. We'll have to see how she stirs the pot when Psych returns this summer. My Fridays aren't going to be as funny until then thanks to an even more comical season than usual.

Photos courtesy USANetwork.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Summer can't come fast enough! This show is so fab!

Anonymous said...

I love this show! Did you see they are putting it on NBC (tonight, I think)? Too bad it is all going to be old episodes. But I heart it all the same.