Monday, June 16, 2008

Always a Bridesmaid 'In Plain Sight'

You know, this show is really growing on me. I thought the pilot was so-so, the second episode was good and last night's outing (the third) was really good. I liked the way the story had me going back and forth on whether or not to trust Treena. Unlike Mary, I wanted to, but like Mary, I didn't think it wise. And then there's the fact that I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Treena turned her life around and married the man she loved because she loved him and not because she wanted to con him out of something. Plus, she got her life back after the diamond smugglers were apprehended which means no more WITSEC and I'm pretty sure that means a happy ending for Mary too. She no longer has to worry about her violating her agreement with pictures in the paper and identifying Mary as a U.S. Marshall.

In addition to the great storytelling this week, there was an overall humor that made me love this episode a little more. Mary's ridiculous outfit at the bachelorette party (courtesy of her crazy sister) and her partner's incoherent reaction to it had me laughing for a good chunk of the hour. Plus, she wore it to catch the diamond smugglers! Even better! Then, she tries to smear lipstick all over Marshall's face (in an effort to make it look like they were enjoying a little tryst in the stables) and he starts trying to make out with her! And then explains it away later by saying he's a guy. Too funny.

Of course, the person Mary should have been making out with is her major-league bound baseball star boyfriend hook-up hottie. But, she has Lilly Rush-sized commitment issues in the way, so his spontaneous proposal went over like a lead balloon (actually, it was more like a HUGE speeding boulder). And while I'll admit that having her race down to the airport in her battered old car, getting caught behind slow traffic (which in and of itself is totally plausible as it happens to me everyday when I'm in a rush), having to stop for a railroad crossing, going through the railroad crossing despite the gates and oncoming train and finally getting stuck on the tracks was a teensy bit much (whereas simply having her show up to the airport 2 minutes too late would have sufficed), I'm terribly intrigued with this story line. Will having him hundreds of miles away cause her to realize her feelings for him? Will she take Treena's advice (which was actually her own advice)? She may hide her witnesses in plain sight, but her feelings are just...hidden.

In Plain Sight airs Sunday nights on USA Network. If you missed this week's episode ("Never the Bride"), check it out for free at Hulu.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love this character! She is so much more likable than Grace(Saving Grace)

LillyKat said...

Okay ... I'm WAY late on watching this ep, but I finally did and it was FABULOUS! I was so excited to see Missi Pyle, having enjoyed her so much in Bringing Down the House. She has that sort of sassy, sexy vixen thing going. I totally thought Treena was going to end up being heartless, but in the end, I really liked her. I thought her back/forth with Mary McCormack was priceless. A great ep. This show is definitely a keeper.