Monday, June 30, 2008

Mary Hides a Love Triangle 'In Plain Sight'

As a U.S. Marshall for the Federal Witness Protection Program there are a few things that Mary should not have to do say, for instance, help a man cheat on his wife with his mistress! Mary was completely justified in her objections to the arrangement and I LOVED her phone call to her boss after the mistress showed up at the art gallery opening, caused a big scene, and subsequently, forced WITSEC to relocate everybody. As Mary said, who would have seen that coming?? And while I get Marshall's point about the moral obligation, I still say that she had no choice but to do what she was told no matter how much she hated it. Short of quitting, there was little she could have done, therefore, Marci was a little out of line with her misplaced anger (especially when we found out that she had cheated on her husband! Pot meet kettle). It all worked out in the end -- thanks to Marshall's self-help sessions with aforementioned mistress and Mary's keen investigative skills.

For those who were wondering if we were going to see Cristian de la Fuente again, this episode certainly answered that question. Nice touch having him injure his ACL because that should knock him out for the rest of the MLB season, and thus, keep him in Albuquerque with Mary where they can hopefully work through some issues. Speaking of that, I have to say that I'm impressed with the reasonable amount of character growth on that front with Mary. A few weeks ago she was parading around like what she has with Raph means nothing and then he pops THE question, scares the hell out of her, and takes off for Florida giving her some time to think about things. And then he comes home injured and her wayward sister (who actually had a decent story line this week and had something concrete to do for once) really gets her to stop and consider what losing Raph would mean to her. There is some self realization there and I think it's promising for the future of the character. Which, thanks to several impressive episodes, I hope is long-lived.

Finally, to borrow a bit from TVGuide's Rochell Thomas... Is it just me or does Mary look a lot like Maria Bello at times?

In Plain Sight airs Sunday nights on USA Network. If you missed this week's episode ("Who Shot Jay Arnstein?"), check it out for free at Hulu.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see Mary's problem with helping a man bring along his mistress, but it seems she would have bigger moral problems to deal with a regular basis.

Such as helping a criminal, including murderers, avoid paying for their crimes.

I understand the practical rationale of the WitSec, but it is a very dangerous area morally.

On a different topic, I appreciate the show still having Marshall injured and not ignoring that.

Question: Is the actor himself hurt and did they write that into the show?

TVFan said...

I completely agree with your conclusion that morality is the central conflict with Mary's day-to-day job.

I did a search and found nothing to indicate that Fred Weller (Marshall) did anything to his arm in real life, so I suspect they simply wrote the story line as a plot point and not as a way to incorporate a real life incident.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your point about Maria Bello. She definitely does remind me of her at times. I'm so glad Christian is back. I love just gazing at him!