Monday, March 03, 2008

‘Dexter’ Does It All

By LillyKat
PTR Staff Writer


There’s something ingenious about a serial killer who could also be nominated for the Super-Best-Boyfriend-Almost-Dad of the Year Award.

Okay, so he is slightly dysfunctional (he has this little killing problem thing); somewhat unsure on knowing what to say at times with his girlfriend (buy, hey who isn’t); tends to have a little too much fascination with blood spatter and donuts (not exactly everyone’s cup of sunshine); but heck, no one notices, right?

Enter last night’s episode of Dexter, where Miami’s original serial killer (not that Icetruck hack ... kidding) does just about everything: takes care of Astor’s tiny little splinter; stands in for running-late Rita on meeting the social worker; makes sure a certain 15-year-old delinquent kid doesn’t become … well, another version of himself.
“All I had to do was drive home, have a taco, prepare my attack. Instead, I tried to act human.”
Is there anything Dex can’t do?

Oh, right. Tell everyone who he really is.

Trifles.

There isn’t anything I don't like about this show (no, really, LillyKat? Gee, we couldn’t tell). But one of things that I really do like is the Dex/Rita relationship. Although Rita is severely damaged emotionally from the thug of an ex-husband to whom she was previously married, there is this sense of normalcy about her - single working mom with two kids, trying to keep peace in her world whilst making ends meet. That, juxtaposed against Dexter’s comfortable awkwardness in being a part of the family, is truly one of the most endearing elements of this show and of which is a gem to watch each week.

Also endearing are the flashbacks of younger Dex with foster dad Harry. We had some this week – back when Harry was in the hospital and … how should we say … being taken care of too overzealously by a certain delusional nurse (nicely played by Denise Crosby).

Read: drugging her patients to death.

Turns out she was Dex’s first human victim – the first human to become part of the Code of Harry, where Dex controls his urges whilst taking care of some of the world’s seriously messed up people who otherwise would go unpunished.

And yet, we also got a glimpse of just how strict that Code is when someone doesn't fit the bill - like the 15-year-old Dex had targeted this week as his next victim. Turns out that kid was a victim himself, and his killing of a man was only in self-defense. And so, we see Dex exercise a certain restraint to stop himself, walk away and keep to the both ends of the Code.

Those who go. Those who stay.

Genius.

Meanwhile, we remember last week, where Sgt. Doakes and Lt. Laguerta were trying to find the cop killer of an undercover officer who’s wife also happens to have been having an affair with Doakes? Turns out Doakes is a little more peeved about the death of her than the cop, so he confronts the drug lord who ordered the hit. Problem is: the entire Miami Metro Police Department seems to have known he was banging a cop’s wife (big no-no), and decides to set him up with the whole we’ll-take-things-into-our-own-hands thing, arranging a storm-the-Alamo moment to try and beat the heck out of one of the drug lord’s top lieutenants. Of course it’s going to look like Doakes arranged this, right? Right!

The Icetruck Killer chopped up his next victim and left her gift wrapped at center ice (er, okay in one goal) of the Miami Blades arena (who knew Miami had a hockey team?). Seems like everyone thinks the IK is the security guard who is on the surveillance tape placing the body in the goal.

Duh. As if the IK would be so careless.

Last week, I talked about how much I love Deb (and Jennifer Carpenter’s portrayal of her). Well, this week, let me talk about why I don't like Lt. Laguerta or Lauren Velez’s portrayal of her (at least at this point in the series).

Having said that, it probably seems contradictory to say I like Lauren Velez. I was a big New York Undercover fan back in the day (yes, I can remember that show; can anyone else?). But this whole Laguerta - stiffer - than - carboard - so - power - hungry - only - promoted - to - be - in - charge - because - I - look - good - in - front - of - the - cameras thing just isn’t working for me.

She doesn’t even seem real at times – as in, not human. And believe you-me, we here at PTR are experts in humans pretending to be machines (ahem, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles). Velez’s screen presence is often distracting and predictable. You start to expect the smug looks, the long pauses of disgust, the snobbery. It is way too forced, and as such, makes it hard for me to believe.

However, what is working is the young up-and-comer, Deb, being smarter-faster-quicker-better than her boss lady Lieutenant. That whole keep the new kid down kind of thing that women, particularly, seem to enjoy doing to each other is very tangible. I will give Velez and Carpenter a lot of credit for creating this dynamic, but there are moments where Velez's Laguerta is just a little too much of a beyotch whereas Carpenter's Deb never comes off as being “too” much of anything. Thus, it’s a little unbalanced. And given Laguerta walks around in a luke-warm state of mind most of the time, it’s hard for me to buy this gal really is that vicious.

But I have been fooled before, and that can be the sign of a great show.

The first season of Dexter airs Sundays at 10 p.m. on CBS. Check out Showtime's official Dexter Web site for the inside scoop on the series.

5 comments:

TVFan said...

I finally caught up on the first three episodes of this series (can you believe it took me this long??!!). Anyway, I am HOOKED! I LOVE it. Dexter has to be the most complicated character on TV. EVER!! He's so compassionate at times and then so despondant at others. Even the way he picks his victims has compassion to it! I never thought I'd write or say those words in the same sentence, but it's true. I love the complexities, juxtapositions, and contradictions on this show. It's BRILLIANT!!

And then there's the Icetruck Killer, which has totally sucked me in. Like you, I really like Deb and Jennifer Carpenter's protrayal of her. Great character and a nice contrast to Dexter. Plus, I just love the way he seems to actually care for her, and yet, claims to be void of any emotions. Interesting.

This is going to sound very strange, but this show has a Veronica Mars vibe to it. Maybe it's the dark tone (although, this one is admittedly darker), the film noir feel, the sorta outsider main character, or the finding humor in situations that shouldn't be humorous -- I don't know, but there's something so similiar and so different at the same time. Heck, maybe it's even just the sheer brilliance and originality of both shows. Not sure. I'm so glad CBS decided to air these episodes (coincidentally, I started watching VM after CBS aired a few episodes during the summer rerun season!).

Anonymous said...

I so agree with you about Lt. La Guerta. I can't stand the character! That aside i am immensely enjoying this show. We just started getting Showtime so I've never been able to watch it until CBS. I'm also getting used to the creepyness of Dex although I'm still a little creeped out when he's with Rita's kids.

LillyKat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LillyKat said...

(OK, my bad I goofed on comment posting today, so forgive the "Comment Deleted" entry ...)

@tvfan: I'm so glad you've finally caught up! Welcome to the wonderful world of Dexter! I can't say enough about the show. It is just so clever and centers on such a fantastic premise of a character. I guess this means you'll be subscribing to Showtime? LOL! :) (P.S. Although I never watched 'Veronica Mars,' I think it's quite cool 'Dexter' reminds you of VM given I know VM was a super favorite of yours. Extra bonus for Dex! :) )

@suekola: There is just something off with Laguerta, isn't there? Without being overly spoilerish, she does improve in the second season. But right now, she annoys the heck out of me. LOL! So glad you are enjoying the show!

TVFan said...

No Showtime for me, so I'll be renting the subsequent seasons on DVD. I've found a couple of shows that I'm going to start watching on DVD only (over the summer). I like that we have this option now.