Monday, March 31, 2008

Lil's Back and Better Than Ever

Remember how I just wrote this in my "Cold Case Returns" piece?
Mixed with all of this excitement comes a little bit of that same anxiety that I felt ahead of "Boppie's" return from the dryer -- will these new rushed-into-production episodes be the same as the earlier ones?

WHY WAS I WORRIED???!! If tonight's outing was "rushed into production," it certainly didn't come across that way. On the contrary, it was a polished, stellar hour of television. And just for good measure, they brought back Lilly's ponytail! Confession: I seriously (heart) the ponytail. It's professional, yet fun and it alludes to that less serious side of her character that we haven't seen in a while. They also picked right up where we left off with Kat's story. I get that she doesn't want to open the over-sized can of worms that comes along with Veronica meeting her father, but there are age-appropriate and mother/daughter appropriate ways of explaining the situation while omitting the less savory tidbits. In true Cold Case fashion, this story seems to have been wrapped up a tad prematurely as we saw Kat give in during the closing scenes and introduce her daughter to her father, but seeing how the case was all about letting others live their lives and letting go, it kinda worked. And it's not like I wanted them to drag this out forever, so I guess tonight's conclusion to the Kat drama worked just fine.

There's an episode of an old cheestastic show called Poltergeist: The Legacy that features one Kathryn Morris as a deaf psychic. Through the wonders the of the internet, I was able to catch a few scenes of her in said episode. As I mentioned, her character is psychic, and this spirit possesses her from time to time in the episode to seek revenge on the people who killed her. She's constantly switching between the deaf psychic and the spirit complete with special effects that make her eyes pretty scary (It's so awesome!). Anyway, she uses sign language throughout the episode, which brings me back to tonight's episode of the superior Cold Case. All of this was in the back of my mind while I was watching Lilly do that seriously kick-ass interrogation with Carlos at the end. I just wanted her to break out the signing because I'd seen her do it in that episode. And then I reminded myself that Lilly wasn't in Poltergeist: The Legacy, so how the hell would she know sign language?! I swear, I watch too much television. More to the point, though, I felt that the story tonight was very strong. I loved the relationship between Emma and Andy, and how she helped him remember a talent that he thought he lost. My heart broke a little for Carlos. He just wanted to fit in, and he felt that Andy's cochlear implant left him all alone.

Other things I liked: Vera learning sign language, Kat realizing Vera has a point, Vera's insecurities at the school for the deaf, and Lilly's ponytail (I know I already mentioned it, but it bares repeating). Oh, and Lilly looked GORGEOUS tonight (especially towards the beginning when her make-up was toned down a bit)! In fact, she looked like a much happier character this week in general. All of this leads to CC moving to 14-0 on the season.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing I took ASL back in HS. Came in handy tonight although parts of the storyline weren't accurant.

I was also thinking about KM's role that movie also. All in all she looked great, even why standing there looking at the moon .


The next episode looks so intense especially with Lilly.

LillyKat said...

I have mixed feelings about this ep. I, of course, was happy to see CC return to the airwaves. The ep was visually beautiful. I have always thought sign language a beautiful language, and to see that so wonderfully displayed was definitely entertaining to watch. Excellent reference in pointing out Kathryn's role on Poltergeist: The Legacy. Since I just got to catch up on that myself, I also had visions of Kathryn's previous command of portraying a Deaf person as I was watching the ep (and of which made me kind of wish Lil' would break into sign language at some point - LOL!).

I guess I just wasn't overly "wowed," though. I'm still not really buying Kat's storyline. After two years of getting to know her character, the fact that we're now to believe she was a floosy for one night and got screwed over (literally) just doesn't seem plausible to me. Yes, I will give credence to the argument that people make mistakes, have stuff in their past, etc. But, she has always been way too straight an arrow (and/or a hard case at times) for me to buy into this whole "mistake" she made with drugbeat Dad. That said, since she did have sort of a who-am-I moment and actually DID something about it ... well, that's the thing I wish they would do with Lilly instead of just drawing endless dead ends to her character development and/or drawing it so slowly we lose interst in what she is supposed to be about. Perhaps that is going to come full circle in the remaining eps.

Next week does look rather good.

TVFan said...

The Kat story line hasn't sat well with me either. I guess I feel that the character and Tracie Thoms deserve better. Maybe I'm the only one, but it just seems a little too cliche (narc cop sleeps with druggie) for my liking.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this CC ep. Kathryn did indeed look gorgeous. Once again this show brought me to tears at the end. I think the music has alot to do with that. It was awesome tonight.