Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fools' Gold

When I was just knee high to a grasshopper (is this not the strangest expression ever?), I would run home from school, throw down my book bag and run back outside to frolic among the winding stone walls that danced around my family's New England yard. And while I was busy frolicking, I would pretend that I was Indihanna Jones (Indiana's long-lost, but equally gifted treasure hunting sister) and I would "search" (read: walk along the walls) for "treasure" (read: active imagination) and encounter insurmountable obstacles (read: bugs, snakes and toads that lived along the walls). I not only saw both National Treasure movies in the theater (which, it should be noted, are extra-awesome because they contain both history and treasure hunting), but I own the first and will be adding the second to my mounting Christmas list. I actually liked Fool's Gold! So, it stands to reason that I thought this week's episode of Psych was, in a word, AWESOME. It was also one of the funniest hours in the show's history (I still get laughing when I think about those Shawn/Gus/Henry interrogation scenes). To borrow from Scrubs' Dr. Elliot Reid, Holy Frick!! This episode is going to be tough to erase off of my DVR. Seriously, it was THAT good.

Shawn, his fake psychic ability, Gus and treasure hunting were made to go together, so this one had me at the promo. Shawn and Gus were like wide-eyed children at the mere mention of treasure hunting (not that I should talk), and I loved the way they blindly went along with the uncle's hairbrained plans. And then there was the Puma incident which led to the even funnier UGG incident ("I can't wear an UGG with a Puma!") and finally the second Puma incident. Gus and his anal retentiveness! There were too many HILARIOUS lines to recount, but I have to give special mention to this exchange:

Chief: "Mr. Spencer, let me be Frank..."
Shawn: "As long as I can be Dean and Gus can be Sammy."
Gus: "Why do I have to be Sammy?!"
Shawn: "Fine. He's Sammy. That makes you Joey Bishop. Is that what you really want? You want to be Joey Bishop??"
Jules: "Shawn!"
Shawn: "I'm sorry, Jules. How often does someone set you up with 'Let me be Frank'?"

And after Jules goes all bad cop on his ass, Shawn declares, "Oh my God, that was so hot." Add a hysterical accidental phone call to Foo's Palace, Shawn's insistence on getting a late-night burrito, and every other second of this episode and you get one of my favorite Psych outings EVER!! Plus in the end, everyone got what they should. The museum got the treasure (minus a small "finder's fee" for Shawn and Gus), the bad guys got a one-way ticket to the local jail, the uncle got conned, and Shawn got his burrito. Now, Gus can use some of that "finder's fee" to buy himself a new pair of Pumas and everyone will be happy.

Psych airs Friday nights on USA Network. Catch up on this episode (the awesomely named "The Greatest Adventure in the History of Basic Cable") and others at hulu.com.

PTR would like to congratulate Psych star James Roday for his recent ALMA nomination (Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series). The ALMA Awards celebrate the outstanding artistic achievements of Latinos in motion pictures, television and music. The all-star event will air FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 12 on ABC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I don't share your enthusiasm for the movies mentioned, I do share your opinion of the Psych episode.

I liked all the scenes you mentioned and more I can't think of right now.

I always like Psych, but this was one of the strongest episodes.