Monday, August 04, 2008

To Russia Without Love

Photobucket

I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not Brandi's biggest fan. I may waffle over whether or not she's a conniving little twit bent on stealing her sister's "boyfriend," but I've stayed strong on my overall dislike of the character. Not any more. Not after her courageous stunt this week. I have to commend the writers and Nichole Hiltz for taking what could have been a throw away character and turning her into an essential part of the series. I wanted to stand up and applaud when Brandi turned the drug dealers in and saved that poor baby. My heart broke for that infant in the bathtub. And since I have several "sentimental stuffed animals" still lying around as well, I could relate to Brandi's attachment to Biscuit (loved that Mary gave him to her) and I understood why it was hard for her to part with him. That's why her gesture was made all the more touching for me. Let's hope that Brandi's quick thinking will give that kid a much better shot at life now. And speaking of a better shot in life, Brandi needs to take advantage of her good decision. I'm still on the fence about whether she's trying to steal Raph. I (want to) think that she knocked on his door because he was the only one she could turn to (Mary thought she was back in Jersey, and let's face it, she isn't the most understanding individual) and she was probably feeling kinda alone and scared. Why does Mary always pick the worst times to call/drop by? On the positive side, nothing appeared to have happened. At least there's that.

Unfortunately for Raph, Mary was coming off of a case involving a scumbag Russian con man, a broken-hearted witness, and a tough life lesson on trust. Bad combination on a good day, but virtual trifecta on a day when she finds her supposed-to-be-in-Jersey sister sleeping on her boyfriend's lap.

If Mary represents the glass half empty, then Marshall is the same glass, just half full. I fall somewhere in the middle, but I tend to favor the half full side, so this is probably why I find myself going with Marshall most of the time. This week, it caused me to believe that Serge had turned his life around and genuinely loved Mary's witness. That was until Mary dug a little deeper. Can't say I saw the internet angle coming, though. Thankfully, Mary did. It's just too bad a young girl got caught in the middle of it and has to uproot her life once again because of it.

In Plain Sight airs Sunday nights on USA Network. If you missed this week's episode ("To Serge With Love"), check it out for free at Hulu.com.

No comments: