Monday, August 25, 2008

Shawn & Gus Get Rigged

You guys know that I love me some Psych, but I have one gripe about it this season: the writers seem to have forgotten what to do with Jules and Lassie. Remember how they used to work with Shawn and Gus on their cases and we would all laugh at the hilarious interaction between Shawn and Lassie (Las would pretend like he thought Shawn was a moron, but in reality, he was insanely jealous at the fake psychic's natural ability to solve cases and Shawn would make all sorts of witty comments about Lassie -- those were the good old days). But now, well, it's like the two sets of characters are running in different circles solving different cases and I don't like it. Yes, I know, the two seemingly separate cases wind up intersecting at the end, but I want more Shawn/Gus/Lassie/Jules time damn it! Why did they mess with a winning formula? I feel like the Lassie/Jules scenes are a little pointless and thrown in there to give the actors some deserved screen time. It's a conundrum, and one that I hope they solve soon. I only criticize because I care. It's out of love for this fun little show.

Putting all of that aside, I did enjoy this week's oil rig outing. I had my suspicions about the daughter the entire hour, though. She wreaked of "Daddy may underestimate me, but you'd be wise not to" syndrome. And I had no idea that Brenda Leigh Johnson's father was an oil man, did you? Don't you love seeing the same actors pop up on your favorite shows? This Barry Corbin character didn't have the same understanding gene as his Closer counterpart, and he certainly didn't know his daughter the way Clay Johnson knows his. Thankfully, Shawn and Gus had her all figured out.

I want to send a shout-out to the casting department for their awesome job casting Chief Vick's sister! Those two were separated at birth!

Psych airs Friday nights on USA Network. Catch up on this episode and others at hulu.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with your critisism of the shows changed dynamic.

Shawn versus Lassie, with Gus and Jules thown into the mix was great. I can see them not wanting that to be the whole show, but is a great part of it.

Of course, the show is still great, it just could be better.