Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Spot Check: 'Pains' Still On Track (Even If I'm Not)

'Royal Pains' Airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. on USA NetworkBy LillyKat
PTR Senior Staff Writer


Regular readers may have noticed I've not reviewed the past two weeks worth of episodes of Royal Pains.

Now, before anyone assumes I've gone off the show, let me state for the record that I haven't. Not even close. In fact, I look forward to all-things Hank Med every Thursday at 10 p.m. on USA Network. And, seeing as the series was just renewed for a second season, I'm completely thrilled its found its audience, averaging anywhere in the 6-7 million viewers.

And yet, that's my problem: it's humming along so nicely that I'm not finding anything overly compelling to write-up; instead, I'm finding that it's become the show that lets me take a vacation during the week.

I know that sounds like an "ouch," but it's not meant to be.

Honest. Swear. Promise.

It's just that the show has become somewhat of diversion for me - that is, it's the one I want to watch for no other reason than because it's fun.

It's not pushing my buttons like Raising the Bar.

It's not making me wonder how BJ is going to get herself out of said scenario on The Closer.

It's not simultaneously making me proud and driving me nuts like Saving Grace.

It's just ... well, fun. And rather than repeating the same thoughts again and again (Hank rescues client/Diveya does her thing/Evan is still annoying/Life is good in the Hamptons), I think I'd like to switch to more of a spot-check write-up.

When it wows me, I'm here.

When it's just fun, I'm on vacation.

And when it's somewhere in between ... well, I'll figure that out before the second season begins.

My biggest question as it stands right now: what is up with Boris? When is he coming back? What is with his supposed perfect-health-illness?

New episodes of Royal Pains air Thursdays at 10 p.m. on USA Network. You can join other fans on Facebook; follow Royal Pains on Twitter, or visit the official Royal Pains Web site for the scoop on the series!

2 comments:

RichE said...

If all you think you can say about a show is that it's entertaining and you look forward to future episodes, you can't really complain too much.

I'm guessing they'll be more stuff at some point. For now it is focusing on the weekly patient stuff. There are some shows that I wish did that and built up to "arc" over a longer time. Dollhouse being one.


RichE.
Kathryn Morris UK

John said...

Everyone has commented on the annoying behavior of Evan. I want to focus on just one aspect of it this week.

Why is he involved with patients? Even he were a pleasant person, which he isn’t, he is a CPA not a medical person. It would be like having someone from the doctor’s or hospital’s billing department sitting in on the medical consult. It makes no sense. I guess they want to find a way to get the actor screen time and this is their answer, but it is off-putting having him there when a patient talks about there medical problems.

I am still enjoying the show though. (And I did think you had given up on it.)