Monday, July 30, 2007

Collier's City of Promises

Did anyone else do a double take when we saw Tom having dinner at Diana's?? It was totally unexpected and I think it threw me off the rest of the episode. Like Tom, I'm sure her reasoning was pity, but she never did clarify that point. Whatever the reasoning, it was a cute scene that further developed the importance of their friendship outside their partnership. Later, Tom took a beating for Diana so she could sneak into Promise City to retrieve Maia. Wouldn't Jordan Collier just love to get his hands on Maia on a more permanent basis? He seemed to have her drinking the Kool-Aid by the end of her brief stay. She was even singing his praises to her mother later. I figured she was lying about the war, but this does beg the question whether she has lied in the past (most notably with Ben). I don't think she has, and this one occasion certainly seems justified, but it is an interesting development. Speaking of Maia, I can't seem to get over how grown up she has gotten since last season! She's morphing into a teenager before our eyes, and I can't believe it. Her relationship with Diana has morphed as well into more of a real mother/daughter one. I'm such a fan of their scenes together, so tonight's multiple moments were a real treat. LOVED the phone call when Maia told Diana that she needed to save Jordan (never mind the Enhanced Soldiers assigned to kill him), and Diana tells her that she'll do what she can. It was such a great scene because they easily could have been discussing something mundane like getting Maia out of an activity at school, but this is The 4400, so they were discussing soldiers with abilities taking out a man who seems to have become a Christ-like figure for those with promicin pumping through their veins. Good stuff.

I saw the Tom/Megan thing coming from about 20 miles ahead (apparently Diana did as well), so no surprises there. I don't know why, but I just can't accept Megan. She has the lack of authority problem, but it's something more than that -- something I can't put my finger on. She takes up time that other, more interesting characters could have -- maybe that's the problem, who knows. In any event, Tom and Megan - blah. I think I have a hard time seeing Tom with anyone other than Alana anyway (sorta like if they were trying to pair Diana up with someone other than Ben). I am enjoying the complicated relationship between Tom and Kyle. Kyle is Jordan's closest advisor. He's making sure that White Light's prophecy is carried out, and yet, his father is part of an organization designed to stop it. But, Kyle holds nothing against his father -- instead, he sets out to change his mind. When he tells his father how important he is to the movement, he adds, "And not just to me." Tough times for Tom; good television for the rest of us.

If you missed last night's episode, check out the 2-minute replay at the show's official site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking the same thing about Maia. She really has grown up since last season. I also agree with you about Megan. I'm totally annoyed by her in every way. It was a great episode though.