Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Still Falling from ‘Grace’



By LillyKat
PTR Staff Writer


So after being somewhat less-than-impressed with the pilot episode of Saving Grace last week, I was hoping for some redemption this week.

Guess I’ll have to wait until the third episode.

I confess I’m not feeling Grace at all.

If last week’s opening scene wasn’t still being talked about (which it is), this week’s should be right up there with the “Um, ‘kay” factor: she’s out hunting with married partner Ham on their off day (convenient); she ends up getting a kill (of course); she then decides she needs to get her rocks off with Ham yet again (what else is new); so hey, let’s do it right here next to the dead animal carcass (yummy), and while we’re at it, why don’t I stick my finger in the dead animal’s blood and smear it on your face as we start to go at it.

Ugh.

Even my co-worker (whose dad is a hunter) found that one to be totally out in left field.

However, because I’m finding Grace so repulsive, I’m starting to get why Angel Earl has been sent to her.

Poor Angel Earl.

There was a case this week … something about a love triangle between the victim, his wife and his business partner. Guess victim (Bo) found out wife (Belle) was having an affair with the business partner (Dudley), yet didn’t feel like granting her a divorce. Business partner wasn’t too happy with that.

Enter a crime of passion.

But to be quite honest, I lost track of the case.

In between Grace wrestling with Angel Earl at the Old Coliseum in Athens (one of those close-your-eyes-Dorothy-and-click-your-heels-together-three-times trips that were made famous last week to prove the power of his existence); to her constant why-is-this-happening-to-me self talk that sounds emotionless and trite (“I don’t believe there’s a God who cares that I’m sleeping with a married man.”); to finding out that she’s also slept with Butch (another detective on her team), which, when partner Ham finds out, starts a pissing contest of grand proportions (literally, at the bar, in the men’s room, at the urinals); to her taking home yet another faceless stranger from said bar for a night of romping; or, to her practically have an orgasm every time Angel Earl shows off his golden glow complete with full wing display … well, it’s hard to remember there is police work going on or why anyone should care about this woman.

But that’s what God is for, right?

Thank goodness for Laura San Giacomo’s Rhetta (Grace’s friend and medical examiner). If it wasn’t for her no-nonsense, quick-wit, God-has-chosen-you-Grace-deal-with-it stance, there would be no reason for me to continue watching this show. I thought she was hysterical when she pushed Grace to bring her one of Earl’s feathers for examination, or that she’s started an “Earl File” (“Every time he takes you somewhere, I want you to bring me something.”). For me, she steals the scenes that she is in.

And, thank goodness for Angel Earl. Leon Rippy is dialed into this lovable, yet slightly unkept tobacco-chewing-could’ve-had-a-Harley-in-his-other-life Angel. You actually feel kind of bad for him that he has to deal with Grace given she is hell bent on being his biggest pain in the rear.

Case in point: this week, he asked her to talk to Ham about breaking it off.

But where does she end up?

In the shower with Ham at the end of the episode.

Now, granted, this episode did end on a surprisingly shocking note – Grace’s boss Lieutenant is shot in the squad room by his degenerate brother (Pup). Pup had been called in to give the name of an informant to help with the case, and he was promised a pair of shoes and $50 for his troubles. When the boss Lieutenant doesn’t give up the $50 for fear Pup would do something-less-than-honorable with it …

BAM!

Hence the Ham and Grace shower scene.

If this was supposed to be tender, I didn’t find it to be. Her alone would’ve worked better, left to clean herself off after being splattered with blood from the shooting, perhaps finally showing that maybe she does actually give a care about someone other than herself, or that perhaps it could be her dead on the squad room floor one of these days.

Unfortunately, by this time, I was looking forward to watching a rerun of Season 2’s Cold Case (which followed Grace).

We’ll see what next week holds.

New episodes air Monday’s at 10 p.m. on TNT.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find myself pretty much agreeing with your assessment of this show. I was really looking forward to Grace because of Holly Hunter, but I am quite disappointed. I thought this week's episode was really lacking in every way. I was losing interest by the minute. On the other hand, Damages on FX tuesday nights is fabulous! I highly recommend that one.

Anonymous said...

I love Damages, too! Amazing show. Glenn Close is just so brilliant, and the show has so many twists and turns ... you never know what is coming next. This has made up for my disappointment with Grace.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more!

TVFan said...

I actually liked the pilot, but this week's episode was a HUGE step back for me. I couldn't agree more with everything you said here.