Sunday, May 04, 2008

Lilly Gets a Chance for a Second Impression

It's weird. I was so excited when the Writers Strike ended and we got the fabulous news that many of our favorite shows would be returning with a few new episodes, and yet, somehow this didn't work out like I thought. Now that season five is officially in the books for Cold Case, I can't help but to feel a little shortchanged. Ironically, this was the one feeling I was expecting not to have given the extra 5 episodes. Lilly's therapy sessions were shortchanged. Residual effects from Lil and Scotty's late night ride with John Smith were shortchanged. And this week, I felt like the season finale was a bit shortchanged. It was a good story, excellent case, and I'm glad the show softened the Saccardo character, but for some reason I feel like something's missing. Maybe it's the 5-6 episodes that weren't made due to the strike or the lack of a more end-of-the-season feel to the season finale, but something was off. Last season, Lilly got shot and was clinging to life. The season before, she was throwing her career away for a non-victim and she was facing a deranged serial killer in the attic of his childhood home in the season 2 ender. This season, she was kinda sorta rehashing season one's former- alcoholic- mom- and- her- daughter- go- out- the- window 3-hanky outing (complete with the same harsh judgmental edge) and maybe seeing a different side to the rough and gruff Saccardo. So, if I measure this outing against past finales, then it doesn't hold up well. But, if I look at it as just another episode, then it shines pretty bright.

Sure, there were some plot holes bogging it down (the Fire Marshall didn't get the location of the start of the fire correct?? And he didn't realize that the window would have been blown out in a blast and not broken into shards on the floor inside the bedroom??), but I overlooked them because they had little to do with the story and the actual non-murder. Speaking of which, I LOVED the way they worked this case out. Max was alive because he was stolen out of his crib and the blaze was set to cover the whole thing up (including the body of another unfortunate infant). I'm wondering if the little baby John Doe will be Lil and co.'s first case of the new season. The camera seemed to linger on that box at the end, and it would more than likely give them an excuse to include Saccardo. If baby John Doe is the first case of the new season, just remember where you heard it first.

And then there was Saccardo. I know there was a rather... hmmm... should we say strong reaction to him the first time around, but I didn't feel one way or the other. The verdict was still out for me mainly because I felt that he was trying to impress Lil, but going about it all wrong. This week, he made a much bigger impression on me. He tried his usual machismo routine on her, but after sensing that it wasn't going to get him anywhere, he switched tactics. Turns out, that macho act is just that -- an act. There's a lot more to the character, and I think Lilly might be re-thinking her initial impressions. He certainly had her number about the addict moms with kids, but the thing that impressed me the most was his honesty at the flower mart. Lilly started to get a little personal with Priscilla when she wanted the answer to a question that has plagued her and Saccardo sensed that it was uncomfortable. So, he decided to reveal something personal about himself. He was a user and he drew on his own experiences to get Priscilla to open up. It let Lilly know that he has secrets too and he wasn't going to force her to reveal something she didn't want to. There was respect there, and Lilly didn't let it go unnoticed. It was just enough to make me intrigued about their potential.

This episode may not have measured up in the season finale column, but it was still a strong outing and definitely another win on the season. Seeing as this was the season ender, this means the crime drama ends the year undefeated 18-0. Not a bad hour all (shortened) season long. Bravo, CC cast and crew! And thanks for another great season. Can't wait for Lil and the gang's return this September, which is only, oh, 4+ months away!!! Stupid summer.

Screencaps courtesy RichE at Look Again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your whole take on this episode. It was a really good stand alone ep but not as a season finale. I really did like the story and how it all played out. Agree with you about Bobby C's character too.

Anonymous said...

That is exactly what I thought when the credits began to roll. The case was somewhat inappropriate for a season finale. It dealt more with Lily's relationship with her mom and Lily accepting it. It was her way of almost saying goodbye to her mom, which was great but not dramatic enough for a season finale. Also, I wanted to see more Lily and Scotty, but I guess the writers wanted to prepare for a possible relationship between Lily and Saccardo next season. I'm going to miss Cold Case so much over the summer!