Thursday, July 09, 2009

'Catch' Freezes Over

Discovery Channel's 'Deadliest Catch'By LillyKat
PTR Senior Staff Writer


Is it possible for one to actually get cold whilst watching Deadliest Catch? Like, by osmosis or something?

I know I've made myself sea sick watching an all day marathon. (Yes, true statement. I watched on a Sunday, went to work on Monday, and then felt as if I was swaying back and forth in front of my computer screen. Weird, but hey, that's me).

So, I figure if I could make myself sea sick watching a marathon of the show, then I guess it's not too much of a stretch to get cold while watching it, either - as was the case with this week's ep, where temperatures dropped into crabs-freeze-their-legs-off territory.

Which is somewhere in the way-too-low-below-zero category.


I'm Sorry, Is This Spot Taken?: You mean to tell me the Wizard's Captain Keith did NOT intentionally set his pots on top of Captain Phil and the Cornelia Marie? With all his GPS wango tango, should he not have figured out that even setting CLOSE to Phil's pots would find them moving INTO Phil's string with the tide shift - especially when you can SEE the Wizard right off the back of the Cornelia Marie? I swear Keith is full of hot air sometimes. And, I have to say, I'm with Josh Harris on this one: another boat within several miles of where one is crabbing is too close.

Do You Want That Straight Up, or on The Rocks?: So Captain Sig takes on the enter-at-your-own-risk challenge and inches the Northwestern into frozen over St. Paul harbor so as not to lose his entire load of crab. I have to say he seems to have finessed it in such a way that it almost seemed military battlefied in nature as he performed this strange little series of right obliques. General Robert E. Lee would've been proud. Anyone know where we can get some red paint?

Fart Grounds: Captain Phil of the Cornelia Marie seems to have this ... uh, system whereby he can see little bubbles on the surface of the ocean that are ... uh, gaseous releases from our little Opilio crabs that indicate they are in the area AND in abundance. So far, he's right. Hey, whatever works. Leave it to Phil to come up with this method.

Dirty Crab: The Incentive taught me a thing or two this week about dirty crab. They can't have any little barnacles on their legs and/or body. They have to have that nice reddish pinky shell. And, you don't find them in the southern, calm, warmer waters of the Bering Sea. You have to scoot yourself north, take on the 40-footers, have your boat freeze over in a complete block of ice and see your crew go hypothermic in order to catch them. Well, duh. This IS Opilio season, Incentive. Did you think you weren't going to have to suffer the wrath of the Bering Sea in winter?

New episodes of Deadliest Catch air Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Discovery Channel. Visit the official Deadliest Catch Web site for the latest on the captains and crews of the Northwestern, Cornelia Marie, Time Bandit, Wizard, Early Dawn and North American and the new boat, the Incentive. You can also catch up with Deadliest Catch folks on Twitter: fvnw_erin / CaptPhilHarris / northwesternpat / NorthwesternPR / captjohnathan / northwesternsig / DeadliestCatch (which is actually the Cornelia Marie) / DiscoveryChPR.

No comments: