Sunday, July 05, 2009

'Mental'-ly Unfit for Trial

I knew something didn't feel right about this week's episode. At first, I just chalked it up to poor planning on the writer's part or just a weak episode. I couldn't understand why this random court case was inserted into the episode without a lot of background information. It just felt out of place. I went with it, reluctantly, and then things started to get interesting. The ace prosecutor began seeing blurred images of the jury, witnesses, defendant and members of the crowd. I wasn't sure whether she was having an acute vision problem or if she was about to become one of Dr. Gallagher's patients. It wasn't until she started seeing flashes of Jack in a different setting that I began to suspect something was amiss. At that moment on the balcony, I started to suspect that what we were seeing wasn't really happening. I gotta say, this little twist was pretty brilliant! I went from kinda strongly disliking the disjointed feeling to the episode to kinda strongly loving it at the end.

One thing I did not love (at the beginning or the end) was Veronica's continued affair with Baby-Faced Doctor. I figured from last week's "I'm having an affair" discussion with Nora that things were still hot and heavy between these two and this episode confirmed it. I know we don't really know the cutey husband, but I feel so bad for him. I'm not going to deny that Veronica and Baby-Faced Doctor have some serious sparks, but I'm having a hard time getting on board with the story line. She either needs to end the thing, come clean to her husband and move on or end her marriage and be with the young doc. Make up your mind, woman. Either way, someone is going to get very hurt.

Mental airs Friday nights on Fox. If you missed this week's episode, watch it for free at Fox.com.

No comments: