Monday, April 07, 2008

'Dexter's' Big Reveal

By LillyKat
PTR Senior Staff Writer


Why is it that our down-and-out on love female homicide detectives can’t ever catch a break on the personal life tip?

First, Lilly Rush.

Now, Debra Morgan.

Is BJ (that would be Brenda Leigh Johnson over on The Closer) the only one who can find and keep a good guy?

Anyhoooo, remind me to buy PTR’s Editor-in-Chief, TVFan, a lottery ticket this week. Or just give her a super round of kudos for being able to figure out the Icetruck Killer’s identity way before I ever did (and I watched the first season of Dexter two years ago).

Doc Rudy.

Ewwwww.

Just ewwwwwww.

And Deb is just so hot-to-trot for him, too. Not good. Do we even want to speculate where this is all going? Note to Deb: best get out now.

Aside from that big reveal, Dex was in therapy this week.

How funny was that?

A serial killer in therapy – the oxymoronic phrase of the century.

“I’m a sociopath. There’s not much he can do for me.”
Ah, but there is.

In between doing his homework to get rid of this week’s God-complex psychiatrist (who had a habit of taking advantage of powerful women in their weakest moment by convincing them to commit suicide), Dex got to deal with some of his own stuff.

For real.

And it helped him cross that all important intimacy bridge with Rita.

Now, I know I just lamented the fact that Rudy and Deb are together, which now just seems way too ... well, ewwww. Let us be clear: Dex and Rita together is not the same creepy thing (at least for me, it isn’t). Dex and Rita aren’t out to “maul” each other into oblivion (I mean, really, how long does that kind of relationship last anyways?).

There is a far more powerful and compelling connection between the two of them that, in actual fact, is not defined by an intimate relationship (at least it wasn’t until last night’s ep). And through the damage, the wounds, the baggage, the fear, Dex and Rita make up one of the most endearing couples on the tube. Hands down. Dex’s dark side balanced out by his good-hearted devotion to Rita, her children, their life together – even when he can’t quite make heads or tails of it, even when he struggles to define it, even when it worries him into thinking it’ll be lost. And Rita’s pure ability to see only goodness in Dex.

Now that is what I call entertaining.

Other tidbits:

- Paul: Ugh. His smarminess in trying to be father of the year is just beyond irritating. Like fingernails down a chalkboard. Like, he’s in the house and everything?!?!?!?

- Laguerta is a fraud: well, duh. At least we finally have that confirmed. She and Doakes used to be partners, and she just happened to have been in the right place at the right time to nab the bad guy and get the glory. A sidekick covering a back stairwell, as it were. Of course. We know the woman is a good for nothing hack of a cop, but what the heck is with her heavy breathing down Dex’s neck at every opportunity? Talk about ewwwwwwwwww.

- Dex and Rudy on Craigslist: Just goes to show you who and what is on Craigslist. Ha.

- Next week: Showdown at the Miami Serial Killer Corral.

The first season of Dexter airs Sundays at 10 p.m. on CBS. Check out Showtime's official Dexter Web site for the inside scoop on the series.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of myself for being suspicious of the good old Doc a few eps back. Something about him just gave me the creeps almost from the beginning. Once they started showing alot of him , that pretty much sealed it for me. I agree with you about Paul. He's got to go! Dexter, did you hear that?

LillyKat said...

Ah, that's right suekola! You also were onto Doc Rudy from the get-go. I owe you a lottery ticket, too! ;)

TVFan said...

While I was glad to have successfully figured it out, I was more excited to find out that I was right about Dexter's feelings for Rita. I've been conflicted all along because he describes himself as a sociopath, but I could tell that he had real feelings for Rita and her kids. I know he claimed it was all a part of his act, but I never bought that. Of course, the revelation that he does (hence the reason why he was afraid to sleep with her -- he thought he'd lose her) further complicates this character.

I love this show's complexities because they pay off in the form of excellent characters and stories. Those therapy sessions were very informative and they led to some great growth for Dexter (something more along the lines of what you were probably expecting for Lilly, LK?).

Poor Deb, indeed.