Friday, April 16, 2010

High School Reunion

OK, Bones is killing me!  "Kiss from a Rose?!"  Kiss from a frickin' Rose??!!  And this was only the first episode since the heartbreaking, gut-wrenching 100th episode last week.  I'm not going to make it to the end of the season.  My heart can't take this!  It's one thing to continue to keep them apart (just to be clear, I don't like this option), but it's so much worse to torture us with these heart-breaking moments.  Thankfully, the show threw us a bone with the Angela/Hodgins story and mixed in a lot of humor with the case, because otherwise, I think I would have been in a puddle on the floor for the second week in a row.  Things started out alright, but took a turn when Bones found out that her high school reunion was coinciding with the murder she was investigating in her home town.  High school reunions can make for many awkward moments, but I'm pretty sure no one's is as awkward as Brennan's was this week.


Sometimes I feel that Brennan is a little too awkward and socially inept even for her.  This week, the feeling carried over for most of the episode.  I felt uncomfortable for her.  She's nothing if not direct, though.  Of course, I did enjoy the irony that she was the most sane of all of them.  Booth was there to smooth things over (and to cause her classmates to swoon), but this was where things got tough.  He and Brennan posed as a married couple and attended the reunion together.  Neither seemed to grasp the inherent conflict in the two of them posing as a couple right after they made the crushing decision to forego a relationship outside of their professional partnership.  Sweets brought it up to Booth, but he has decided to resort to the good old state of denial.  In fact, it didn't come up between Booth and Bones until they took to the dance floor and the inevitable slow song started.  Brennan wanted to dance to Seal's "Kiss from a Rose," but then realized that it might not be a good idea for Booth.  He agreed to do it anyway (with room for the Holy Spirit in between them) and they were suddenly dancing like middle schoolers at a chaperoned school dance.  That was until Booth discovered that Brennan hadn't attended her high school prom and then they began to dance close together.  So many emotions played out on both of their faces during that short dance.  Heartbreaking!

Meanwhile, Angela came to the realization that Wendall isn't the right guy for her.  It had to do with him wanting to do the right thing versus Hodgins's declaration that he was "the guy" even when he thought Angela was pregnant with someone else's baby.  I'm glad Angela has finally come to see what we've seen from the beginning, but now she's going to have to act on it.  Could Hodgins have been any sweeter during that scene with Angela after she broke up with Wendall?  Sigh.

And now, here is this week's edition of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:

THE GOOD: Four-way tie this week: Booth and Brennan's slow dance (sure, it was heartbreaking, but it was also great), Hodgins and Angela, the final scene where Brennan finally acknowledged how important her friends are to her, and the creepy janitor Mr. Buxley (guest star Robert Englund of Nightmare on Elm Street fame).

THE BAD: Brennan's uncomfortable interactions with her former classmates.  "I heard that Evelyn ruined your business."  Yikes!

THE UGLY: Ya'll know it's going to be the moving maggot-infested skull that squirmed its way across the barn and landed on the blanket with the girls.  And just in case we weren't totally grossed out, they made sure to smear a few maggots across one of the girl's faces.     

If you missed this week's episode ("The Death of the Queen Bee"), check it out for free at Hulu.com.  

3 comments:

RichE said...

I much preferred this over last week's episode. It had all the required Bones/Booth stuff but with a good case around it.

I could have done with Robert Englund's character not being so over the top. They were clearly trying to make us all think it was him but by over doing it it was never going to be. I'm sure they would say they were just having fun with the whole "Freddy" thing. It came across as trying too hard to me.

Angela telling Wendall he was so great at the same time as dumping him sounded odd to me. That side story was done well though.


RichE.
Kathryn Morris UK

John said...

Bones is saner than the killer and the murder victim. I didn't notice her being saner than the reast of her class. She is smarter and she is less squemish, but saner?

Half the time I can't imagine Booth or anyone wanting to socialize with her.

As to Angela/Wendell your are great - I am breaking up with you: I see than as a veresion of "It's not you, it's me."

John said...

I don't see Bones as saner than anyone else in the episode except the killer and her victim. She is smarter and less squemish, but saner?

Half the time I can't imagine anyone wanting to socialize with Bones.

As for thr Angela/Wendell break up scene, I toke that as a version of "It's not you, it's me."