Monday, May 22, 2006

FINALE BLOWOUT: 'Case' Closed on Another Season

I love when procedurals take chances. By definition, they are so set in a formula that it can grow a bit tiresome over time. Last night's season finale of Cold Case took a big chance, and it paid off nicely for the show. Like its sister show (and new Sunday night partner) Without a Trace, the show shines just as brightly when it pulls away from its formula as it does when it sticks to it. The reason last night's experiment worked well was because creator Meredith Stiehm has done such a beautiful job creating the complicated, flawed and fascinating character of Lilly Rush. As I have said in the past, this show should always focus on her and her quest to solve the unsolved because Lilly is the bread and butter of a wonderfully crafted crime drama. Without her, the show becomes another crime show clone lacking that extra oomph. Of course, they only have an hour to tell a story (or more accurately, 44 minutes in Case's situation, which is actually one of the longest shows on television), so Lilly's personal story line came at the expense of the case of the week. Said case was terribly under developed, and contained plot holes so big that they almost swallowed the audience (No fingerprint ID on the body from 2005? Joseph had a record, and therefore, prints on file). Thankfully, Lilly was the hour's saving grace and her intricate story kept me from dwelling on or even caring about the obvious case missteps. I was completely enthralled with Lil's dilemma much in the same way she was with her latest victim. I wasn't expecting that to happen because I was very spoiled about this episode, and had been for weeks leading up to it. I knew about Joseph and the scene between Lilly and Scotty at her house and the last scene with Lilly and Joseph in the jail, but I didn't know what mistake she was going to make and that was the episode's biggest shocker and delight.


It all started when Lil got a look at the victim - Joseph Shaw. He worked as a drug counselor with teens, owned cats and was looking for a woman who was intelligent, passionate about her work and not allergic to cats. Does that sound like anyone we know? Add to that the fact that they both believed that the people behind their cases get lost in the files, and you have a serious match made in workaholic heaven. We learned last season that Lilly likes to take a picture of the victim home and put it on her nightstand, but Kat made sure to remind us when she asked her about it. I loved the way Kat instantly handed Lilly the picture of Joseph and told her that he was someone worth putting on the nightstand.


Which leads us to Lilly at home that evening. After learning all about Joseph through the family that runs the center where he worked, Lilly decided that he was more than just a nightstand ornament. They seemed to have a lot in common, and she just couldn't get past it. This was certainly the beginning of her spiral, but things were only going to get worse. The next day, she decided to go visit a farm house that Joseph's foster mother owned, but she did so at night and against orders. Stillman told her to wait until the morning and to take Scotty with her. When she got to the farm, she snooped around, and encountered the very alive Joseph hiding out. She was so caught off guard by this revelation and the fact that the guy that she had been obsessing over was standing in front of her that she forgot to identify herself and she automatically believed him when he told her that he didn't kill the real victim (his foster brother), and she agreed to keep his status a secret. Wow, Lilly just made a HUGE mistake! If this guy had killed his foster brother, he was high-tailing it straight out of dodge for sure.


Things got even more interesting the next day when Lilly called in sick. Of course, she wasn't sick, but trying to avoid lying about Joseph. She used her "sick day" to do some of her own investigating. Armed with the knowledge that Joseph was alive, Lil cornered Mr. Holden about his wife. She didn't get anywhere, so she found one of the center's former teens and learned that she had seen Mrs. Holden carrying on an affair with the teen who was accused of murdering another teen at the center. Joseph was the only witness to the murder, so it was looking like all signs were pointing to Mrs. Holden. Lilly called Joseph that evening to fill him in on the day's events, so it seemed that she was now working for him instead of PPD. Deeper and deeper, my friends.


Scotty dropped by Lil's place as she was finishing up her conversation with Joseph. He seemed a little perturbed about Lil calling in sick, and even more so when he found out that she went to the farm and found Joseph. In an interesting move, Lilly admitted that her feelings about Joseph were clouding her judgment, and Scotty seemed to back off. It was so wonderful to see these two acting like friends again! Of course, Scotty still didn't spill about his injured hand (sustained during that perv beat down from the last episode), but the scene was an insta-classic all the same. It was so good, that I'll let it speak for itself as I have uploaded it for you.

If you're having problems viewing the video here on the site, you can click HERE.


The next day was Lilly's moment of truth. She had to come clean to Stillman, and he was none too pleased. In fact, I think this scene is the maddest that I have ever seen him. He scared the bejeezus out of me, and I wasn't the one getting the verbal lashing. Of course, Stillman had every right to be angry with Lilly because what she did was incredibly stupid. When he asked her if she knew where Joseph was, I was so afraid she was going to lie, but she didn't. It made me sad that he told her that what she did might not be fixable because he wasn't just talking about her career. It was like her huge mistake caused him to see her differently, and he wasn't sure if that was reparable. This scene was another insta-classic and it was enhanced by the beautiful work of both Kathryn Morris and John Finn. Of course, I uploaded this one as well. Watch carefully when Stillman really lays into Lilly because Lilly's scared reaction is so natural that I'm still not sure if John Finn actually scared Kathryn or not. Check it out.

If you are having problems seeing the video, click HERE.


Luckily for Lilly, Joseph eventually showed up and saved her butt. The two took a moment to talk in the hallway at the jail, and it seems that they were both equally enthralled with each other (as if there was any doubt. Seriously, these two knew they loved each other before they even met and now that Savage Garden song finally makes sense!). I was extra proud of my Lil because she didn't run for the hills, but rather, somewhat admitted that she was interested in this guy. She even played a little coy with him when he tried his best to ask her out. It was cute, and yes, I uploaded it as well.

If you are having trouble viewing this video, click HERE.


The closing montage was to Howie Day's beautiful "Collide," and they really couldn't have chosen a better song. It was like it was written for Lilly in this episode. Check out these lyrics:

"Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills my mind
I somehow find, you and I collide."


And even though we saw Lil open up more this episode than she has in three seasons, there are still questions remaining as to how long this will last and will she continue this thing she has with Joseph? I hope so, and I hope that the writers take us along for the journey next season.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Lilly's boo-boo affects her relationship with Stillman. He looked a little bummed at the bar when he was staring at her empty seat. If she is disciplined (as she should be), I have a feeling Stillman will issue the punishment and not let her mistake reach the higher-ups. Joseph came through and the case was solved, but Lilly compromised it in a HUGE way. As much of a romantic sap as I am, I thought that her mistake was the best part of this episode. It showed us a completely different side to Lilly while still keeping her within the parameters of her character. I understood what she did and even felt for her, but I was also disappointed with her actions (or lack of them). I found myself feeling the same pit in my stomach that Lilly must have been feeling when she faced the boss, and I worried along with her when he said that he wasn't sure that her mistake could be fixed. And of course, I rejoiced when Joseph showed up and saved her from completely flushing the entire case down the toilet. It was an intriguing story line, and Kathryn Morris told TV Guide that we will continue to visit the effects next season. I can't wait!

That's all for this special Finale Blowout edition of Pass the Remote. To read more finale blowout editions of Pass the Remote, click on over to The Best of Pass the Remote at PassTheRemote.net. Next up, Lost and Alias. Also, this isn't the last of my Cold Case discussions for the season. I have some surprises in store for this summer, so stay tuned to Pass the Remote for plenty of summer coverage of Lil and the gang! And be sure to tune in later today for the regular edition with thoughts on the season finale of Desperate Housewives (It was awesome and then not)!

To get more television coverage, including a complete archive of the best of Pass the Remote and a photo gallery featuring pictures from the set of Veronica Mars, click on over to PassTheRemote.net.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great rundown TVFan! :) Couldn't agree more. :D

Anonymous said...

I haven't watched the finale and I probably shouldn't pass judgment before I do that. But from what I hear (including your review, good though it is) it strays far from what I like. I don't mind shows taking chances, and I know a character needs to develop, but I honestly don't like the person they've turned Lilly Rush into. She's gone from a level-headed mature woman into some adolescent moony needy twit who loses her head at the first chance. It's not the sort of character I admire, and it hurts and disappoints me to see her turning more and more like that as the episodes go on. If she'd been like that from the beginning maybe it wouldn't pain me so much. I no longer feel like I want to be following the show next season... but of course it depends on what happens when I see the ep with my own eyes. Will make or break the CC spell.

It was a good run though, wasn't it? Thanks for all the awesome, clever reviews you've done. You're an excellent writer and I hope your blog will continue to be recognized as it was by the VM crew.

TVFan said...

Thanks bitter. It will be a bummer to lose you as a fan, but I understand. I know how you feel about Lilly and relationships, so my advice about watching the finale is to focus more on her mistake and how that affects her relationship with Stillman and Scotty (and eventually everyone else, I'm sure). It sets up an interesting dynamic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for understanding, TVFan. Truth is, I'm not feeling too interested in the finale anymore. Plus it can't be found on the 'net, so it might be a while before I can get my hands on it. It's ok, I can wait.

I won't be watching the show anymore after this but I don't wanna trash the finale on the boards when I watch it(if I still want to trash it, that is). I just think you REAL fans deserve better. ;) Hehe, trust me, you'll be better off without me.