Monday, May 22, 2006

'Housewives' Grow More 'Desperate' as the Season Ends! Plus a Possible Schedule Shuffle at NBC and TV on DVD Monday

It's not that I wasn't expecting thrills, chills and surprises from the 2-hour season finale of Desperate Housewives last night, but that didn't guarantee that I wouldn't end the hour feeling a little dissatisfied. The episode was strong overall, but I was annoyed at the way they ended it without giving us any clue about Mike's condition. Is he dead? Seriously injured? And then there was the fact that the dentist (Kyle MacLachlan) was the one behind the wheel. I suspect that it had something to do with Mike recognizing him, but I wonder what he's trying to keep secret. Is he a real dentist? Did he spend time in jail and then escape ala Prison Break? I know this is meant to carry over into next season, and I'm totally cool with that - just tell us how Mike's doing! I figured that the Applewhite story line would run its course at the end of the season, so no surprises there. Overall, it was a satisfying finale that was better than most of the episodes this season. Here's a breakdown of everyone's story lines last night.

Lynette - I'm still jumping up and down Scavo style over the joyous news that Tom wasn't cheating on Lynette. I was going to be so mad if things turned out that way, but they didn't. The former one-night stand/mother of his daughter character was pretty funny. I can see her creating all sorts of trouble next season. Lynette is so difficult when it comes to other women and her husband. The potential is endless.

Susan - I was mad when she accepted that house from Karl, and so glad when she changed her mind. In the end, Karl was a good guy about the whole thing, and he was willing to let Susan go so she could be happy. He may be a total slime ball when it comes to women, but he did the right thing and I have to give him props. Susan was left thinking that Mike stood her up, but she'll learn soon enough that he was a bit incapacitated. I do think that she and Mike should ultimately end up together.

Bree - So admitting herself to the hospital was simply a ploy to get medicated and take some time off from her crazy life? Too bad things didn't work out like she planned, especially when things took a serious turn with Danielle. As soon as we learned for sure that Matthew was responsible for Melanie's death, I figured Danielle was in serious trouble as well. I thought Bree's display in front of Danielle with a gun to her face was impressive, and I can only hope that it becomes the glue she needs to keep her relationship with Danielle together.

The Applewhites - I've assumed all season that Caleb was innocent and that Matthew was the real monster, so the confirmation was not a shock. I was surprised to see how far he took the whole running away thing. Overall though, I am just glad that this story line has finally wrapped.

Gaby - I really didn't think that Carlos was cheating with Xiao Mei because it just seemed too obvious, but I was very wrong. I'm not a fan of this story line, but I did enjoy the irony of Gaby the cheater getting a dose of her own medicine. I just wish they had left Gaby and Carlos alone because I was really enjoying their relationship this season. I still maintain that their story was the strongest all season, but I'm not thrilled that it ended on such a sour note.

Zach - Is he not his grandfather's grandson or what? He's diabolical enough to pull the plug on his newly found grandfather and then use his inherited fortune for himself instead of helping out the only father he has ever known. E-VIL!

This show was so hot and cold this season, and that was reflected in last night's finale. Overall, I thought it rocked, but there were some of those stories that just didn't sit well with me. The first few episodes of next season will be critical. If I don't enjoy the stories, then I might be eliminating this show from my TiVo Season Passes, especially since my Cold Case will be on up against it starting in the fall. If you missed last night's finale, you can click over to abc.com to view it for free.

To read thoughts on last night's Cold Case finale, including screen caps and videos, click HERE.

About Last Night...CBS won the first hour of the night with the season finale of Cold Case, followed by the second hour of ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (which had more total viewers) and NBC's Dateline. At 9, ABC took over with the first hour of the Desperate Housewives finale, followed by a CSI: Miami rerun on CBS and the first hour of NBC's movie 10.5 Apocalypse. The final hour of the night went to the last hour of ABC's Desperate Housewives, followed by CBS' CSI: NY rerun and NBC's movie. For more on last night's ratings, visit Zap2it.

~Primetime Pass~
@8 p.m. - Oprah Winfrey brings to television her personal archival footage from the three-day, once-in-a-lifetime celebration honoring 25 legendary women in the fields of art, entertainment and civil rights on ABC's special Oprah Winfrey's Legends Ball. NBC airs another edition of Deal or No Deal.

@9 p.m. - Andy, Ephram and Delia are all shocked by a visit from Andy's estranged father (guest star Charles Durning) on the WB's Everwood.

FEATURED FINALES TONIGHT!!!
Alias (9 p.m. ABC) - The spy thriller wraps up its five season run with a 2-hour episode. In the first hour, Sloane takes Marshall and Rachel hostage in order to discover a crucial clue to Rambaldis ultimate endgame. In the second, Sydney and Jack must find a way to keep Sloane and Irina from putting their deadly plan into action on the series finale.

24 (8 p.m. Fox) - Agent Jack Bauer seeks to avenge the painful loss of innocent lives on the 2-hour 5th season finale.

Medium (10 p.m. NBC) - Allison has visions of her life had she become the high-powered attorney she originally set out to be on the 2nd season finale.

OTHER FINALES TONIGHT!!!
King of Queens (8 p.m. CBS) - 8th season finale
The New Adventures of Old Christine (9:30 p.m. CBS) - 1st season finale
Two and a Half Men (9 p.m. CBS) - 3rd season finale
CSI: Miami (10 p.m. CBS) - 4th season finale

To see what else you can catch on television tonight with customized listings for your area (via Zap2it), visit the TV Listings area of PassTheRemote.net.


QUICK CUTS

*NBC might be reshuffling its new schedule a week after it announced it. According to TVGuide.com, the network is considering moving the new Aaron Sorkin dramedy Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip from its announced Thursday night slot to Mondays after learning that ABC is moving megahit Grey's Anatomy to the highly contested 9 p.m. Thursday slot against CBS' CSI. The move might also bring back Scrubs sooner than expected.

*And finally, it's TV on DVD Monday! Look for the first season of Boston Legal to hit shelves tomorrow along with The Closer (season 1), The 4400 (season 2), Deadwood (season 2), M*A*S*H (season 10) and Wings (seasons 1 & 2). To see a complete list of tomorrow's releases, visit tvshowsondvd.com.

To get more of today's biggest TV news and headlines, visit the TV News section at PassTheRemote.Net.


That's all for today. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for thoughts on tonight's Everwood episode and Medium finale (NOTE: I will be doing a Finale Blowout edition on Alias later this week, so stay tuned for that!). Plus, all the latest television news! And I just wanted to end this edition today with a special shout-out to Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro. After breaking his leg in three places, undergoing 6 hours of surgery and receiving 23 screws and a plate in his leg, he's beginning his long road to recovery with a 50-50 chance of surviving according to his doctors. Despite the horrific injury, he tried to keep racing and he was practically jogging after surgery yesterday, proving that it's all about attitude. Pass the Remote sends along our best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery Barbaro!

To get more television coverage, including the network's new fall schedules and a complete archive of the best of Pass the Remote with a photo gallery featuring pictures from the set of Veronica Mars, click on over to PassTheRemote.net.

6 comments:

Scooter McGavin said...

I like the move of Studio 60 not because there are other things I watch at the timeslot, instead it will give me time to catch up on all the shows I'll tape at 8:00 on Thursdays and not have to wait until the weekend to watch.

As for the Desperate Housewives finale, yawn. Well except for the hit and run, I'm surprised they showed us who did it instead of setting up a whodoneit for next season.

And on a technical note, the TVGuide.com link goes to a different site.

TVFan said...

Thanks for the heads up on the link. I edited it, so it should link to TVGuide now.

Yeah, the Studio 60 move doesn't affect me either since I wasn't planning on watching it. I just liked the Scrubs news attached to it. :-) Hopefully, it will return sooner than midseason, but probably not considering NBC's mishandling of the show.

Anonymous said...

That will be great if they end up bringing Scrubs back earlier!
I'm pulling for Barbaro too!

Anonymous said...

Just one tiny question. Whatever happened to Sister Mary I dunno what? Last ep I watched here she and Gaby were rolling around the altar in a cat fight. I hafta admit it. I laughed. :D

TVFan said...

Sister Mary left the show, but I can't remember how or why. I think Gaby got her moved to another church far away because she lied and said that Sister Mary was having an affair with Carlos. I'm not 100% sure, though.

Anonymous said...

Oh... so the last I watched WAS the last of her. Too bad, she made for an interesting storyline. Thanks, TV!