Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Football Coach 'Lights' Up the Racial Divide

Leave it to Friday Night Lights to confront a controversial topic head on and take no prisoners in the process. There is no question in my mind that what Coach Mac said was a fire-able offense. He brought back old racist stereotypes and ignited a firestorm that hasn't quite quelled yet. But, we all know that people in important positions get to say things that would cause the rest of us to lose our jobs (witness the recent stunts that Grey's Anatomy's Isaiah Washington has pulled with his anti-gay slur, and yet, he is currently still employed by the medical drama). Sure, Mac's comments sprung from ignorance (NOT an excuse, just an explanation) where as Washington's more from anger, but Mac made his comments even worse with his flippant, insensitive apology. I'm not sure what the answer is in this situation (a place I find myself often in on this show), but I do know that I don't feel right about his continued involvement with the team. Maybe it's the fact that he didn't seem to serve out a punishment for his wrongs (other than public outcry). I think I would feel better about it if he had volunteered his time to coach young African American kids to play football or just decided to make an effort to erase the misconceptions that he has about an entire race. Now, that's not to say that I don't think he's sorry (he seemed pretty remorseful at Coach's house), but I'm just not sure that he understands why what he said was so wrong. Racial topics are often taboo because they stir up so much anger, resentment and divisiveness in us, so I applaud Friday Night Lights for stepping up to the plate and giving us a modern, realistic look at the suppressed racial issues in this country (and they're not all in the South).


Meanwhile, Julie is busy competing for "Delinquent Daughter of the Year." The strip club arrest was not her fault, and to be honest, she really wasn't doing anything wrong. Julie is a good kid who is beginning the usual teenage rebellion stage, but I'm not sure that Tyra's devilish tendencies are the best influence for her right now. Maybe Matt will get her back on the right track (although, not from the looks of next week's previews). I have to admit that I was a little surprised that she took him back. Matt's love of football hasn't changed, and I still contest that that is their biggest bone of contention. Julie knows firsthand how football can engulf your entire life and keep you away from the ones you love, so I can't blame her. Then again, Matt seems to be a good kid with a level head, so you never know. I mean, how cute was his gift? I know I always talk about how Kyle Chandler turns in the best performance on television every week, but Connie Britton is just as strong and it was very apparent last night. Chandler may be the MVP, but Britton may just be the most underrated player. As usual, I'm torn (in a very good way).

If you missed last night's episode, click over to nbc.com to watch it for free. All of the pictures in this edition are courtesy of nbc.com.


Get even more of your TV fix at PassTheRemote.net! A comprehensive television site with news, reviews, photos and much more!

No comments: