Wednesday, October 01, 2008

'Fringe' Questions Abound

This week's episode of Fringe wasn't quite as forthcoming with the answers as episodes past. In fact, it felt a little more Lost-like with its tendency to raise more questions than answers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't become a trend because, as I've already stated, I don't need another Lost and all of its mangled mythology on my plate. That's why I've been hoping that this show keeps more within the Blue Plate Special realm. Here's what I did gather from last night's outing: there is a freaky bald guy with no eyebrows who has been observing all of The Pattern events through the years. No Brows (or "The Observer") doesn't age and he saved Peter and Walter from sudden icy-cold death many years ago because he said that he would need Walter some day. Meanwhile, the team discovered a metallic cylinder of unknown origin, purpose, or basically anything else useful and/or helpful for the story. They did, however, discover that it vibrates at two different levels. Apparently, Walter believed that it could be some sort of torpedo that can cut through the earth's core and attack a country on the other side. I found the entire thing to be very interesting, but we never got a clear explanation because the thing disappeared into the earth after Olivia shot the crazy guy with the torture machine.

While I agree with the critics who say that Joshua Jackson is horribly miscast as Peter, I'm not ready to give up the character. Therefore, I really wish the show would stop with the "he's leaving! Just kidding" gimmick. He's the star of the show. We know he's not going anywhere. I get that he's playing Scully to Olivia's Mulder, but the constant threatening to leave is really starting to grate. Hopefully, this week's "awakening" after meeting No Brows is the last time we have to deal with this gimmick. Fingers crossed. Weird plot gimmick aside, I am enjoying this show and I hope that when it returns in 2 weeks, it has a few more answers and a few less questions.

Fringe airs Tuesday nights on Fox. If you missed last night's episode, watch it for free at Fox.com. Photo courtesy Fox.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you read the commemt I left on Heroes, but I feel the same way as you. Too many questions, not enough answers. At least it is a little easier to follow than Heroes. And I am enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone notice when "the crazy guy with the torture machine" was leading Peter through the graveyard we saw a headstone saying Richrd or Robert Bishop and the crazy said something like, "You should have met him."

I wonder if that is going somewhere.

TVFan said...

I was wondering the same thing. Interesting...