Monday, October 27, 2008

Military 'Case'

Someone at Cold Case must be a hopeless romantic because this week's Korean War outing was less about war and more about love. On the eve before shipping out to Korea, a young marine meets the girl of his dreams -- the woman that he thinks he should spend the rest of his life with. But, he only has the rest of the night because he's murdered before the sun rises on the following morning. Girl of his dreams waits for him the next day to see him off to war, but he never shows. She never knew what happened to him, but he does leave her with something (or rather, someone) to remember him by -- a son. And I guess I'm a sucker for this sort of story because I just loved the way that Lilly and co. were able to find the truth (as tragic as it may have been, at least she knows he didn't abandon her). This was one of those episodes, though, where I spent most of the hour trying to sort out all of the suspects. I knew their faces (even between past and present for the most part), but I just couldn't keep their names straight. The episode did do a nice job of picking an unlikely, yet plausible, killer (trust me, this is a delicate balance that is hard to reach). I kinda dismissed the sergeant early on because he was so quick to call out Tully as a deserter. Shows what I know!

In addition to the case, there were several funny moments between Vera (the class clown), Jeffries and Valens. I think I laughed the hardest at the "Ask me about erectile dysfunction" sign on Valens's back. Good stuff. It was nice to see Vera taking the boxing trainer's advice and throwing a few punches around during the closing scenes. Meanwhile, this was another knock out for Cold Case, so the crime drama moves to 5-0 on the season.

Screencaps courtesy RichE at Look Again.

No comments: