Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Future 'Heroes'

There comes a point in every show when the story crosses the line into the crazy. Traditionally, this moment is known as "Jumping the Shark." Ladies and gentlemen, we may have hit that Jump the Shark moment on Heroes. I don't want to jump the gun on this and certainly, jumping the shark is not a term I just throw around, but this week's episode has me VERY concerned about the future of this series. Especially since this outing was all about the future. The entire hour was beyond bizarre and completely lost my interest. Future Claire kills Future Peter and then goes on a quest to kill Present Peter?? Sylar's making waffles with Mr. Muggles?? An entire town suffers a nuclear explosion after Sylar implodes while fighting Future Claire and her band of evil (good?) doers?? WTH??!!

The only story that has me interested right now is Mohinder's poor decision to give himself a power. Of course, Maya has nothing to do (again) except run around in skimpy shirts and question Mohinder's judgment. I don't know. I think this show needs to focus more on the present and quit jumping between it and the future or it's in great danger of getting caught up in its own mythology. If that happens, I'm out. As we all know, Lost has the monopoly on mythology on my couch and there just isn't room for any more. Let's hope Heroes turns things around. Fast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shows over use of time travel to drive stories and the resulting in ability (at least by me) to keep track of what has happened, what may have happened in the future, what had happened in the "present and past", but no longer happened is my major complaint.

Spending any time with Mohinder (who always makes the wrong choice when it is important) or with Maya is my next biggest complaint.

The show is severely trying my patience.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with all your comments on this show. Kait has kind of given it up already. I'm not so sure she isn't the smart one. I guess time will tell.

Anonymous said...

"Sylar's making waffles with Mr. Muggles??" sounds more like the present-day Sylar :-)

"Sylar's making waffles for Mr. Muggles??" is probably more like it :-)

I'm not a fan of time travel in shows/movies. It can be used so easily to get around problems which would otherwise require more creativity. I have issues with the whole time travel idea fullstop which prevents me taking stories based around it very seriously.

A bit of time travelling is OK but if it is constant back and forth, with people shifted to alternative times (and the double Peter thing) it just gets confusing.


RichE.