Saturday, April 04, 2009

'Bones' Gets Wild

This week's episode of Bones shone the spotlight on Cam and kept Brennan back in the lab. I thought that the change gave us an interesting contrast from the usual stoic Brennan to the very emotional Cam. It's not something I'd like to see with any regularity, but I thought the change-up worked as a break from the usual routine. Here's a closer look at this week's good, bad and ugly.

THE GOOD
I liked the way the episode took Cam out of the lab and fleshed her out a bit more. We learned about her past, we watched her weep for the man she almost married, and we saw her reunite with the child whose life she had been a part of for two years. Nothing about her journey in this outing could have been easy, but it helped her reconcile her past and move on with her future. I'm not sure how things will turn out with her and Michelle, but I have the distinct feeling that no matter what happens, Cam will now remain a fixture in that girl's life and that's a good thing.

THE BAD
One simple thing: there aren't any tigers living in Rock Creek Park (I live in the DC area). I know, it's a small thing and I normally give these shows lots of creative license, but this one oversight really bugged. Maybe, it's the fact that there are plenty of tigers right down the street at The National Zoo and it could have easily been used as the dump site -- I don't know. I suppose the sheer fact that this small, nit-picky detail is the only thing that I can put in the "Bad" category is, itself, a compliment to the episode.

THE UGLY
Jealousy! And you thought I was going to say the tiger-chewed remains (I almost picked it, but really, what else can I expect from Bones?). These women were all falling over themselves to be with the good doctor and when each found out she wasn't the only one (shocking, I know), they each turned into jealous-filled shadows of their former selves. Ultimately, it was jealousy that caused one otherwise seemingly normal nurse to become a murderer. And now, a little girl is without her father. So yes, jealousy gets the prize this week.

If you missed last night's episode ("The Doctor in the Den"), check it out for free at Hulu.com.

3 comments:

John said...

I thought it was just an okay episode.

I like Cam more than I initially did, but still don't need that much time devoted to her.

I really didn't like the hypnosis session at all.

I wonder if there was a reason why the episode was light on Brennan. Is she directing an upcoming episode or something?

TVFan said...

I'm not sure why this one was Brennan-lite. My take was that they simply wanted to spotlight a different character.

Unknown said...

All episodes of Bones Season 6 you can watch from here only.