Wednesday, May 06, 2009

'Catch' Gets Back to Normal

Discovery Channel's 'Deadliest Catch'By LillyKat
PTR Senior Staff Writer


And now back to our regularly scheduled Deadliest Catch programming.

Seriously.

After two weeks of death at sea.

Seriously.

Last week's uber-emotional-super-sad-tug-at-your-heartstrings episode had me in a daze for days. I could not get the lost crew of the F/V Katmai - and the emotional recall of the survivors' tales - out of my head. I cried WAY too much.

This week, however, our gang got back to doing what they do best: fishing for Alaskan King Crab.

And we got our first look at the new Mini-Me boat, the Lisa Marie.

I Love Murray Gamrath: Do you think I could get this printed up as a bumper sticker? The man is just too cool. As much as I love Captain Phil (and I DO), part of me is enjoying watching Murray pinch-hit as Captain once again - particularly when he says things like, "I take Mother Nature very seriously, which is why I'm still out here." Amen to that, Murray. Go Cornelia Marie!

Where's the Wind-Up Key?: Is the new Lisa Marie boat, like, a toy or something? Does someone have a remote control in which to operate her? No offense to her crew, but she doesn't even look big enough to be let out of Dutch Harbor let alone be stacked with gear and off fishing for crab. The poor thing looks like 10 knot winds might blow her over - forget 50 knots. And yet there she is ... puttering around with the big boys. As much as I'm having issues with two "Marie" boats in our fleet, I've got The Little Engine That Could visions flashing through my head right now. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

Sig, Chill: We all know the Northwestern's Captain Sig is a little ... uh, let's just say intense. Did we not think his eyeballs were going to come exploding out of his head when his crew seemed a little slow on the uptake? Breathe, Sig. Just breathe.

Dude, Where's My Picture?: So, the greenhorn on the Wizard decides to put his girlfriend's picture up in the bait area - which is where he spends most of his time. Awww. Nothing like decorating one's cubicle. Except it irks Mouse (Captain Keith's bro'), and then turns into a big ol' hullabaloo. Over a picture? Guys, seriously. And yet, couldn't the greenhorn have picked a less gooberish version of her in which to post? Like, if I was the girlfriend, I'd think I'd want to not look like a drunk bimboid who got her pic snapped on a throw-away camera by accident. Ouch. But hey, whatever floats one's boat, right?

New episodes of Deadliest Catch air Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Discovery Channel. Visit the official Deadliest Catch Web site for the latest on the captains and crews of the Northwestern, Cornelia Marie, Time Bandit, Wizard, Early Dawn and North American and the new boat, Lisa Marie.

No comments: