Sunday, May 17, 2009

PTR Meets a Childhood Icon

There are opportunities in your life that you just have to seize. This weekend, I was lucky enough to have one of them. More on that in a bit, but first, a little background. When I was 12 years old, CBS brought to life the compelling and inspiring story of a woman who traveled from the comfort of her wealthy Boston upbringing to the untamed, unpredictable American West. The year was 1867 and this woman was a doctor! Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman nurtured my love of history, the American West, a good old-fashioned love story and a strong, independent determined woman who used her smarts and training to win over the less-than-convinced residents of Colorado Springs. The show had a big impact on me as a young woman, and it remains near and dear to my heart to this day. Its star, actress Jane Seymour, continues to be one of my faves. A few months ago, PTR proudly grandfathered her in as an official "PTR Fave," and this summer, I'll be revisiting her (in my opinion) greatest role: Dr. Michaela Quinn.

On Sunday, I had the opportunity to meet Jane Seymour and so, I seized it. She was visiting the Washington D.C. area for a series of art shows at local Wentworth Galleries. I packed a camera, my "Open Hearts" jewelry and 17 years of admiration for this actress, philantropist, mother, artist, author and dancer and headed on over to meet her. Jane was incredibly gracious, kind and engaging. She signed my Open Hearts book, talked about my jewelry and posed for photos. She was the epitome of grace and beauty. And her paintings were AMAZING! Here are a few photos from the event (all photos taken by my husband, "Mr. TVFan"):
Jane signs my copy of her Open Hearts book

Jane poses with one of her paintings (her take on her famous Somewhere in Time role)

Jane in front of one of her paintings

Her famous "Open Hearts" symbol

Jane talks to fans in front of one of her paintings

For more on Jane's artwork, jewelry, books, acting and much more, be sure to visit her official site. Special thanks to Jane for taking the time to talk, sign my book and pose for photos. You made this Dr. Quinn fan's day! :0)

4 comments:

Naj said...

I really like Jane Seymour. I loved her in that movie where she was dying and was a piano teacher and fell in love with her student. And of course, Somewhere In Time. Lucky you! Thanks for sharing.

TVFan said...

That was a sad movie! "Matters of the Heart," I believe. Of course, "Somewhere in Time" was sad as well.

LillyKat said...

Total.Awesomness.TVFan. :o)

Yay!

I'm so, so glad you got the opportunity to go see Jane, and she was lovely and engaging. I absolutely adored 'Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.' Between Jane on DQMW and Roma Downey on 'Touched By An Angel,' they held down my television viewing for YEARS. :o)

It's a very special thing when you get to meet up with folks who served as great inspirations to you. I can certainly relate, and I'm just thrilled you had the chance to go!

Mary Ann said...

I"m glad you got the opportunity to meet Jane finally. If you'd like to meet other fans who enjoy Jane's work, I hope you will consider joining our Jane forum at The DQ Times, fans all ages, all over the world sharing stories, photos, news. A great place to make new friends
http://www.thedqtimes.com/forums/index.php?c=10