Thursday, February 19, 2009

'Damages' Flips a Good One

Watch 'Damages' Second Season on FXBy LillyKat
PTR Senior Staff Writer


Last week, I was all about Patty Hewes v. Arthur Frobisher - the rematch.

This week, not so much.

Or, perhaps I should say that for some strange reason, I'm kinda feeling Frobie's whole spiritual counseling/meditation/wanna-set-things right vibe, which obviously puts him in a significantly different light than last season.

And yet, I still don't buy it (though giving creepy, thug-for-hire detective dude the blow off WAS cool - go Frobie!) If Daniel Purcell waited over a decade to get his revenge, I'm having a hard time thinking Frobie is just going to play nice with the woman who destroyed him.

Make that crushed. Annihilated. Humiliated. Squashed. Scorched off the face of the earth.

BUT ... if he does - if he ends up being even more of a confidant that ol' Uncle Pete - bonus! ('cause we really can't get enough of Ted Danson, can we?)

Speaking of Uncle Pete ... wow.

He'd rather take his own life than flip on Patty, eh?

In my new way of watching this show (and given that Patty and Co. are always 18,000 steps ahead of everyone else), I thought for sure Pete had some sort of rehearsed protocol should he ever get busted for all of his "side" jobs. I don't know if the attempted suicide WAS said protocol, but if he is afraid to turn against Patty, I swear this woman has more power than God.

Or, as Ellen so poignantly says in the preview for NEXT week's ep, "I had one thing on her, and she tried to kill me. Can you imagine what Pete knows?"

'nuff said.

And speaking of Ellen ... when she walked into the meeting with Frobie and Patty, I thought they were going to cut to her revenge dream sequence where she blows him away with a shotgun.

But she prevails. Irritated, confused, but prevails.

And there is perhaps no one better than Patty at doing the whole X-Files keep your friends close/enemies closer thing, which does eventually give them a lead on the murder Ellen's fiancé doc David.

Score another one for Patty.

Even if it made Ellen's skin crawl.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Or the last.

And can I just say I'm a little worried about Wes going after Katie Connor and/or what is up with him being in cahoots with thug-for-hire? Or the coked out energy trader?

So much to watch, so little time.

New episodes of Damages air Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on FX. To catch up on the Who, What, Where, When, Why and How of the show, head on over to the official Damages Web site. You can also download full episodes of the show over at iTunes.

1 comment:

TVFan said...

The Uncle Pete stuff really shocked me this week. I knew he was up to something and I knew he wouldn't give up Patty, but I didn't see the suicide attempt coming. Of course, I don't try to figure too much out on this show because watching it unfold is just too much fun.

I'm not so sure about this softer side of Frobie either. I have the feeling that he's quietly plotting against Patty, but I could be wrong (I usually am with this show).

It's such a fun ride. I'm just glad I'm along for it.