Thursday, January 25, 2007

'Lights' Joins the PTR Line Up

For months, I've LOVED Friday Night Lights and championed it as this season's "Best Show You're Not Watching," and yet, I've never written about it from week to week. It's not that I haven't wanted to, just that I never seem to have the time. Well, that stops now because this show is too good not to talk about on a weekly basis. Did you see last night's shocking ending?? How I missed that one coming with the episode's title being what it was ("Little Girl I Want to Marry You"), I will never understand. All of the signs pointed to Jason breaking up with Lyla in order to give her a chance for a "better future." We saw how Buddy's talk affected him and we know that there are still trust issues between these two (and rightfully so), so I didn't think a break up was too far off. This is one of television's most complicated relationships, and most realistic. It's far from perfect, but there is something between these two that won't die. Lyla's indiscretion was more a result of her acting out her devastation over Jason's accident than an indication that she loved Jason any less than she did before he ended up in a wheelchair. BUT, I don't think that these two should be getting married anytime soon. They're too young, and there are too many issues still waiting to be properly solved. And oh, is Buddy going to be mad! I certainly wouldn't want to tick him off.

Sometimes this show is so realistic that I have to stop and remind myself that I'm not watching a documentary. The truest moments come whenever Coach Taylor is interacting with his wife. That opening scene with the radio stations was hilarious, especially when we later see Coach use the shrink's advise on his team in the next scene! These two argue over real things, as stupid as they may be from time to time (garbage cans, radio stations, etc.). I never fail to be absolutely moved and amazed by Kyle Chandler's performance or Connie Britton's, for that matter (they must get Emmy noms or I'm so over the Emmys!!). I know there were early complaints about the character of Tyra, but I'm thinking that those have subsided. The show has done an excellent job of fleshing her out these last few episodes. There's a lot more to Tyra than her previous actions would indicate. That stuff with her mom is so upsetting and inspiring, and I find myself now rooting for her to make a better life for herself and to rise above the crap that her mother has taught her about men. Luckily, it seems that Tyra knows that you don't have to have a man in order to be happy. I just wish that her mom would learn it and how to take care of herself. And finally, Smash's steroid secret is out. What a tough decision for Coach Taylor. It's difficult to ruin a kid's entire future over one mistake, as wrong as it was, so I have to agree with his decision. But like every conflict on this show, I'm torn. And that's just a small part of what makes this show so great.

If you missed last night's episode, click over to nbc.com to watch it for free.


Get even more of your TV fix at PassTheRemote.net! A comprehensive television site with news, reviews, photos and much more!

No comments: