Monday, March 12, 2007

A 'Case' that Takes to the Dance Floor

Some episodes are difficult to categorize. They're not so good that I want to gush on and on for an entire entry (like last week's "The Good-Bye Room"), but not so horrible that I feel the need to point out all of the missteps while trying to find the one saving grace of the episode (like the Bob Dylan one). These episodes fall somewhere in that gray area between "I loved it" and "I hated it." Last night's outing was one of these, and it makes it difficult for me to discuss. It just didn't move me, make me think, make me laugh, or give me the feeling that Lilly (or any of the other detectives) was behind the wheel. In fact, it felt like we didn't get enough of any of them last night. I was happy to see the Jeffries sidestory, and I'm interested to see how it plays out. Other than that, all I can say about this one is -- it was pretty good.


There were some surprises with the case to keep things moving along. I didn't expect to see Maurice fall in love with Crystal, nor did I expect to see his father come around. Of course, we were taking Grant's word for it when he said that their father would be upset with his son's dancing. And then there was the added emotional value that Maurice's mother is the one that taught him to dance. I was so afraid that Maurice died thinking that his father didn't approve of his dancing, so I was completely relieved when Grant told him. Speaking of Grant, he turned out to be the monster that he made his father out to be (not that he was Mr. Innocent either -- the man did not do right by either of his boys). And WTH happened to him??? He was like the high school hottie who grew up to look like the neighborhood perv!! I'm pretty sure that the older Grant was in my nightmares last night. Wow! I guess that's what having a crappy father, giving up your dream and then murdering your little brother will do to you. As much as I liked Maurice (and I did a lot), I just didn't feel that emotionally invested in his murder, despite the gratuitous white flashback-within-a-flashback that was supposed to make me feel otherwise. Maybe it was because Lilly didn't seem emotionally invested. She wasn't in it enough to get invested. So, this one was just pretty good for me. Not sure how to classify it, so let's call it a tie. Cold Case moves to 14-2-1 on the season.


Get even more of your TV fix at PassTheRemote.net! A comprehensive television site with news, reviews, photos and much more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I just felt the back story was "over the top" portrayal. I mean this is an era I lived and loved but they just weren't able to pull in the 'feel' of this story until the last 15 minutes which was too late. I'm disappointed because it was a Mark Pellington directed ep with a Liz Garcia story.