Monday, November 17, 2008

From Russia with Murder

"Fame! I'm gonna live forever. Baby, remember my name. Remember, remember, remember, remember!" Oops, sorry - wrong 80s story about a bunch of talented kids at a performing arts high school. Nonetheless, as a child of the 80s, I really enjoyed Cold Case's shout out to that decade's big screen institution Fame. Of course, this story didn't quite have the same ending. The star of this tale wound up dead at the bottom of a set of subway stairs after drinking tea laced with Oil of Wintergreen. I really enjoyed Nadia's story of persevering after her mother's death and her family's defection to the United States from Russia. She taught herself English, she studied opera and then found her "true voice" in pop music, and she proved herself to her disapproving father. Unfortunately, all of this led to her tragic end as her jealous teacher made an 11th hour decision to kill Nadia instead of herself. Nadia's immense talent pointed out all of Phoebe's shortcomings and it was too much for her to bare. I would just like to point out that we once again had a victim that I kept hoping wasn't really going to die (hey, it has happened before on this show).

Kudos to the Cold Case casting department for that uncanny resemblance between the actor who played Young Vera and Jeremy Ratchford. They had the same exact eyes! It was so well done. Plus, I loved the way the case was so personal to him because he had helped the family get asylum 19 years ago. Catching her killer was that much sweeter for him. And then there was Lilly and her continued pursuit of "Paul Cooper." This time, I paused my DVR at the end when she was holding that piece of paper. It didn't reveal too much other than a Colorado address and a partially obscured address that I'm presuming was local since Lil was more than likely parked outside of it. So, she found him, but now what? I guess we'll have to wait and see. CC moves to 8-0 on the season.

Screencaps courtesy RichE at Look Again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should check out my other caps from this episode (and the end of last week's) over at Look Again, you can clearly see an address for Paul Cooper. He is currently residing in Haddonfield, New Jersey which I gather is just east of Philly. He was born in 1944 and previously lived in Cherry Hills Village, Colorado for 9 years.

You are right, the young Vera was a very good likeness.

It was an interesting story with some great work by Elena Satine as the young Nadia.


RichE.

LillyKat said...

I'm going to remember this ep as the Stalker Lilly ep ... LOL!

With all her "research" on ol' Paul, I have to admit I figured she was going to go check him out. I guess her next move is to just show up on the doorstep and go, 'Hey dad!' ...? LOL! ;o)

Nice to see Kevin Bray back to directing an episode.