Monday, November 03, 2008

Lilly Gets the Deal

Oh, you guys know I love the 80s, so this week's episode of Cold Case gets mad props for taking us back to 1981! How rad was that soundtrack??!! And how awesome was it that the story revolved around a cheesy car dealership chock full of cheesy car salesmen (and women)?? I mean, it doesn't get more 80s than that! I don't want to put a damper on this 80s spectacular, but the best part of this episode for me was its year. The story was fine -- not one of the best, but certainly not one of the worst either. It was pretty straight forward: woman discovers that she's good at selling cars, starts outselling the men, one of those men gets demoted to washing cars before they leave the lot, said man finally gets close to making the sale that could put him back on top and then woman closes the deal, so man kills woman in a fit of rage and jealously and complete desperation. Of course this being the 80s, there was plenty of sexual harassment, extramarital affairs and cheestastic hair, make-up and clothes thrown in to spruce things up a bit and throw us off the scent of the real killer, but when it was all said and done, the murder was pretty cut and dry. Nothing wrong with that.

There wasn't too much going on other than the case this week. We did get a throw-away line from Lilly that should be given a second look (especially if you've read ahead). When she was talking to Marisa about her mother, she told her that she had a parent walk out on her and she knows what that feels like vis a vis, she knows that Marisa's mother did not abandon her. We know mom stuck around (and I use this phrase loosely since we know that mom was drunk more times than she was sober, but I don't want to speak ill of the dead), so that leaves dad. And then there was a fun exchange between Jeffries and Vera about Vera needing a new car. These two are becoming my new favorite funny duo (behind JD/Turk and Shawn/Gus, of course). All of this was enough to push CC to 6-0 on the season.

Screencap courtesy RichE at Look Again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit. I am really struggling to stay with CC this season. I'm finding myself having a hard time staying awake. I think I am just tired of its formula. Time to give Kathryn Morris a new show.

Anonymous said...

Kathryn Morris does need a new show to work with. Cold Case is losing it's touch, this episode proves it.