Thursday, November 20, 2008

Murder at 35,000 Feet

When a cooked body is found at 35,000 feet in an airplane microwave, who ya gonna call? Booth and Bones of course! Luckily, the crime fighting duo just happened to be on board. For a closer look, here's this week's breakdown.

THE GOOD
Booth and Bones being, well, Booth and Bones and all their Booth and Bones-yness. Those granny glasses had me laughing for a while as did Booth's sexy librarian reference. Oh, and there were those mystery novel-reading old ladies who were practically experts on murder and the process of solving it. Back in DC, I liked seeing Sweets playing a different role and working with some of the other players. It's always good to see my favorite Federal Prosecutor, and I'm still interested to see where Angela's new relationship leads.

THE BAD
This pains me -- it really does -- but I'm going to have to go with the HUGE suspension of reality and leap of faith that the show expected us to take as Bones and Booth solved a murder on a commercial airliner 3/4 of the way to China. There were just too many hurdles to get over in order to make this one work. And while I thought most of the bridges over those hurdles were downright clever (and amusing), I'm afraid the show didn't score one in the realistic column. Not necessarily a bad per se, but I found myself suspending belief and giving the show the benefit of the doubt more times than usual and it became a distraction too often during the hour. I don't expect Bones to be 100% accurate 100% of the time and I'm more than willing to give them artistic license (as I am any TV show), but even this one was a bit much for me. It's a shame because I really enjoyed the whole "Murder at 35,000 feet" theme.

THE UGLY
I bet you guys thought I was going to say the microwaved body, but I'm throwing a curve ball this week and saying that the remains didn't gross me out. In fact, I thought that I might be able to leave the "Ugly" category blank for the first time and then, IT HAPPENED!! The eyeball floated to the surface! The nasty flesh peeling/dunking in the makeshift cleaning/forensic bowl thingy almost got me (seriously, I was this close), but I held on. The eyeball, however, sent me over the edge. Hence, we have an "Ugly" for this week. So close, people.

If you missed last night's episode ("The Passenger in the Oven"), check it out for free at Hulu.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, sorry, you didn't catch me out. I guessed you'd go for the eye ball.

Although I do agree the whole idea of solving a murder like that is highly unlikely, I tend to give Bones (the show) a lot of leeway. Despite its regular stomach churning realism, it has always been slightly fantastical (Angela's holographic computer etc). It has sense of fun missing from the serious, more realistic, shows like the CSIs.


RichE.