Friday, November 21, 2008

'Lights' Keeps Shining Brighter

I love this how! I mean, really, really, really, really, really, really LOVE this show!! I (heart) it more than this post can measure. I want to hug it for its realism, emotion, depth and just overall awesomeness. It pains me that more people don't share my love for this show because that doesn't bode well for its future. Speaking of which, does it feel like the show itself is beginning to act like this is its swan song? I don't know for sure, but it just seems like this season is the last (please, no!) as we've already said goodbye to Smash (he finally accomplished his modified dream and landed on a college playing field), Tyra is working toward going to college (at least she was until Rodeo Boy came along), and now we've bid adieu to Jason. I've always felt proud of Jason for what he has been able to overcome. His entire future changed in an instant, and yet, he rebounded. It wasn't easy and he struggled for so long, but he has come through the other side and he's going to be OK. This week, however, I was prouder than I have ever been of him. He learned the hard way that NYC is a tough town, but with a little help from his friend Riggins, he got back on that horse more determined and he came away with a job. He made his new future a lot brighter and he faced his feelings and fears. He proved himself to Erin, and he's on his way to starting a promising career in sports management and a fulfilling home life with the woman he loves and his young son. It's not going to be easy, but you get the sense that Jason knows that and he's up for the battle. That whole "passing of the guard" scene where Erin took over for Riggins was emotional, and both Scott Porter and Taylor Kitsch really showed their acting chops in that scene.

I'm really not a fan of J.D. McCoy's personal coach filling in as Offensive Coordinator for the ailing Coach Mac McGill. I understand why he's a good fit, but I don't like it. Maybe it's just the fact that Buddy Garrity and J.D.'s father conspired with the boosters to make it happen. I'm not a fan of J.D's father and Buddy being in cahoots anyway. That's a sticky relationship. Meanwhile, I felt for Tammi and her lust for that beautiful home. I know they made the right decision in not getting it, but I get why she needed Eric to be straight forward with her before she was willing to let it go. That entire story line was so well developed because it was so true to life. I've so been there! And I have a father who can't sleep at night when it comes to huge financial decisions, so I get Eric as well.

Friday Night Lights will return in 2 weeks with an all-new, commercial-free episode on DirecTV's 101. The third season will be seen in its entirety early next year on NBC.

No comments: