Monday, October 02, 2006

The 'Cold' War Rages On at Home and 'Trace' Strips Down

Why do television shows insist on presenting military "lifers" as war-obsessed, wife abusing, right wing bastards? I just don't get it. I've met "lifers," and not a single one has been this way, and yet, Cold Case insisted on perpetuating the stereotype last night. This is a show that tends to steer away from stereotypes of any sort, so it was a bit surprising. At least the war-obsessed bastard didn't turn out to be the killer. Stereotype aside, the episode was pretty good. It wasn't as strong as the opener, but I think we all knew that it was going to be really tough to top the show's strongest opener to date. I found myself very involved in Dana's story, even though it was a bit reminiscent of last season's "Honor." The show did a nice job of skirting the war issue. It would have been very easy to take an obvious side on the current conflict, but for the most part, the episode stayed in the middle and allowed the personal story of the soldiers to take center stage. The episode's other misstep came at the end with the actual "murder." I say "murder" because I'm not so sure that it was actual murder. If it was, it made no sense. I'm going with the idea that Tommy was trying to kill himself after realizing that the one thing he thought he had left was never his in the first place. But, accidentally flung Dana off the bridge. Yeah, I know it's a long shot, but I'm giving this show the benefit of the doubt. I feel it deserves it after giving us such a wonderful season premiere.


On the personal front, I felt that both Scotty and Lilly's stories seemed forced. Scotty enters his brother's house, says hi and then gets right to it with his brother. I guess they're not much for small talk. Meanwhile, Lilly goes from burning breakfast to pouring her heart out to Joseph about her father leaving when she was six. Now, don't misunderstand, I really liked both scenes and I was jumping for joy at the new Lilly info, but it just came out too quickly. I blame this one on the framework of a procedural. They don't allow for a lot of personal development, and the little that there is tends to get underdeveloped, causing it to feel forced. It just seemed to me that Lil would have had a longer heart-to-heart with Joseph about her "everybody leaves" issues rather than bringing them up in passing between burnt pancakes and her morning commute. Unfortunately, the structure of the show doesn't allow for it, so we have to settle for a sufficient scene with a cute exchange between the two. I loved this scene, but it had more to do with the interaction between them and the final line that said so little and meant so much. Joseph basically declared his committment to Lilly when he said that he could be her last. I don't think that Lil was buying it, but I do think that she was contemplating how nice it might be to have someone stick around for a change. Let's just hope that she's not the one to cut and run when thing gets too heavy.


'Trace' Strips Down
I have a confession: I liked the stripper episode of Without a Trace!! What's wrong with me?? If you all feel the need to revoke my TV fan card, I will completely understand. See, I like Elena and I like Danny and this episode had a lot of both of them -- together!! I never thought that I would like them as a couple, but you know what? They're hot! I know, I know it was only pretend, but I think we all also know that there were definitely real sparks there in that set-up scene and then again outside the cab. I might be reversing my stance on workplace relationships on procedurals. Quick, somebody swipe my TV fan card now before I declare that Lilly and Scotty should be together. You have to admit, though, those two have tremendous chemistry together. Oh my god, take it now!


Get even more of your TV fix at PassTheRemote.net! A comprehensive television site with news, reviews, photos and much more!

4 comments:

Turtlemama said...

Didn't Elena and Danny have a relationship a few years before she came to the team? I thought that I remembered a conversation between the two during her first or second episode....?? Maybe I'm wrong. LOL

TVFan said...

They definitely have some sort of past, but I thought it had to do with a partner getting killed and one of them blaming the other for the death. I can't remember, though.

Anonymous said...

Did any one else see the resemblance between the actress who played Dana and Mariska Hargitay on CC? At first I thought it was her. In certain scenes she looked just like her. Also on CC, I really thought Dana's going over the bridge looked like an accident.

I loved this week's Without a Trace! I definitely see chemistry between Elena and Danny. And I like it!

Trublu said...

I'm a bit worried about Elena and Danny's relationship. We've tried the office romance thing before, once with Jack and Sam, then again with Sam and Martin. Both times, it's flopped in their faces.

If the writers are going to go for it this time (which I highly suggest they don't, but) it at least has to work out between them. Another failed office romance would just be boring.

Of course, if the writers wanted to go with my Elena/Sam ship, I would be more than happy to watch!

That said, I did love this episode of WaT. Elena and Danny worked well together, and the storyline flowed from beginning to end, as it always seems to naturally do on WaT.